Episode 21

RSS

Many attempts have been made to adapt the Street Fighter game series into movies and TV series, mostly with disastrous results. However, Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is often seen as one of the few bright spots in the long list of terrible movies. Kellen and Brennan recently watched the movie and discuss if this is because it's good on its own merits, or just not as bad as the rest. [ 54:45 || 25.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/animezingp...imezing_021.mp3

Some more thoughts.

I never had much of a problem with them announcing moves before they do them seeing as the exact same thing is in a good 90% of action anime, plus, they do it in the game.

Cammy was portrayed perfectly. She's a brainwashed tool of Bison in the games, so I fail to see the problem.

You guys forgot to mention the best line from the Vega/Chun fight. "You bitch, I'll make you SUFFER!"

Balrog's supposed to be half retarded. He's a lackey. The current UDON comic is the only adaptation in which he's been portrayed as semi intelligent and had it done well.

As for all of the characters that make cameos and little else, it's important to remember that Ken and Ryu are the main characters. Everyone else is a varied state of irrelevant, as they should be. What more could you do with Zangief, T.Hawk or Dee Jay? They don't have characters or backstories at all, really, and instead of forcing them to be in a crowded movie for an hour (like the live action version), they make their appearance and leave before you get tired of them. If they were left out, people would have complained, and if they took up more of the story, people would have complained even more, so I think they went with the best compromise.

All of that said, I still enjoyed the episode a ton, and "Ryu shoots font out of his fingers" and the Guile/Charlie/Chun slash fan fic you seemed to make up on the spot were entertaining.

Some more thoughts.

I never had much of a problem with them announcing moves before they do them seeing as the exact same thing is in a good 90% of action anime, plus, they do it in the game. In some cases I don't think it was that bad (Hadouken's for instance), but the one that got me is Chun-Li busting out the spinning bird kick while she's fighting for her life against a psychotic.

Cammy was portrayed perfectly. She's a brainwashed tool of Bison in the games, so I fail to see the problem. Not until Alpha, which was released after the movie, and my main complaint was she was a one and done (well, okay she shows up twice, but you know what I mean.

You guys forgot to mention the best line from the Vega/Chun fight. "You bitch, I'll make you SUFFER!"Sorry, that one I'll give you

Balrog's supposed to be half retarded. He's a lackey. The current UDON comic is the only adaptation in which he's been portrayed as semi intelligent and had it done well.Balrog isn't a genius, and yes he's a lackey, but he's not cockeyed retarded like in this

As for all of the characters that make cameos and little else, it's important to remember that Ken and Ryu are the main characters. Everyone else is a varied state of irrelevant, as they should be. What more could you do with Zangief, T.Hawk or Dee Jay? They don't have characters or backstories at all, really, and instead of forcing them to be in a crowded movie for an hour (like the live action version), they make their appearance and leave before you get tired of them. If they were left out, people would have complained, and if they took up more of the story, people would have complained even more, so I think they went with the best compromise.Good point, but I'm in the camp where they didn't need all the one and done appearances, so there.

All of that said, I still enjoyed the episode a ton, and "Ryu shoots font out of his fingers" and the Guile/Charlie/Chun slash fan fic you seemed to make up on the spot were entertaining. I was in a state of facepalm during that whole bit for the record

In bold, above.