Episode 89

RSS

In an episode of Dread Media that is as confused about itself as the films it covers, Desmond Reddick praises his new favorite film JCVD before sitting down with Darryll to analyze David Fincher's Zodiac. Then he champions the independent supernatural Native American thriller Imprint. Check out these three reviews and listen to the following tunes: "I'm Gonna Kick Your Ass" by The Moistboyz, "Zodiac Lung" by Monster Magnet, "Zodiac" by The Melvins, "Ghost Dance" by Tomahawk and "Kickin'" by Mike Patton. [ 58:06 || 26.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia...admedia_089.mp3

Y'know, sometimes I feel guilty about not listening to Dread Media more often, but then days like today I make up for it by listening in bunches. Certainly if there were an award for the best produced regular podcast on this site I'd vote for this one.

JVCD would be more significant ten years in terms of its method of exploring this subject matter but then again ten years ago Van Damme wasn't in a position to play the role. Its certainly a very solid film with some good ideas and a genuinely good performance from Van Damme. I'll differ you a little Des when it comes to the 4th wall breaking monologue, I don't think it really works, its so outside the established film that it actually removes the tension of the whole scenario for me, like the star and director are saying "Look! Look how clever this conceit is, look how smart our film is! Its so smart that we are going to tell you whats really going on directly and get away with it!". That aside its a very interesting film, especially the first half hour where the outside world doesn't know whats going on, its amazing to see the reactions of the new arrivals on the scene to what they think is happening. In many ways I wish the DVD case and reviews hadn't given it away, its such a nice idea that I wish they could have run with it a little. Of course that would negate the Van Damme performance to a degree.

Many say that Zodiac is Fincher's best film, and I'm not so sure. I liked it a great deal, I liked the sprawling nature of the story and how it deals with obsession, motivation and selfishness, its just that earlier efforts like Fight Club surpass it in visual and performance terms. Seven would be the middle ground between the two I suppose, and the film that inevitably results in the most comparison, and whilst I realize that the ambiguous identity of the real killer prevents there from being a Kevin Spacey in Zodiac I do think that cinematically thats what its missing. Its unusual structure and for lack of a better term, realistic narrative makes it what it is but is also its only weakness, its what may ultimately split the audience on how good the film is. Put it this way, you aren't going to find a better film about this subject matter because it defies a superior interpretation, its too anti-story to be more than this is.

Thanks Stavros.

JCVD: I think hwat really makes the monologue work for me is the honesty in the performance. It certainly seemed out of place in this film and maybe a little too reaching but I thought he delivered it really well.

Zodiac: I still think that technically, Fight Club has to be his best film. It works like clockwork and is brilliant in delivery and actor performance.

Thanks Stavros.

JCVD: I think hwat really makes the monologue work for me is the honesty in the performance. It certainly seemed out of place in this film and maybe a little too reaching but I thought he delivered it really well.

Zodiac: I still think that technically, Fight Club has to be his best film. It works like clockwork and is brilliant in delivery and actor performance.

I certainly agree that Van Damme couldn't have done a better job in that situation. Its just one of those things that either works for you or doesn't I guess.

I'd agree that Fight Club is still his best film. Its 10 years old and still feels 20 years ahead of its time.