Marvel Comics In The 1960s Gets New Cover Art

Koete

As a lot of you know, I'm a huge fan of the Silver Age, especially Silver Age Marvel. As such, I've been eagerly awaiting TwoMorrows Publishing's Marvel Comics In The 1960s book analyzing the decade. I was sold immediately when I saw it in previews due to its awesome cover:

MarvelComics60s_LRG.jpg

Apparently, the cover was too good because Marvel asked TwoMorrows to change it as it too closely resembled a Marvel product. This is the new cover:

Marvel1960sRevise_LRG.jpg

At the request of Marvel Comics, we’ve revised the cover art for our new book Marvel Comics In The 1960s by Pierre Comtois (new art is shown here). While I hate to lose the awesome original cover by Mike Manley and Tom Palmer, don’t worry; there wasn’t any kind of terrible confrontational situation with Marvel over the book. They simply felt it looked too much like a licensed Marvel product with the original piece, rather than the scholarly historical work that it is, and asked us to change it. Marvel was really great about the whole thing, and didn’t require a single change to the interior of the book, so other than the cover, it’s exactly as we envisioned it all along.

The book ships (barring any snags on press) on August 28, so should be in stores the first Wednesday in September; a few weeks late because of the extra approval time (and the delay from our being closed for Comic-Con and vacation the last couple of weeks), but the release is just around the bend.

http://twomorrows.com/blog/tnt/new-cover-art-for-marvel-comics-in-the-1960s/

Now I understand why TwoMorrows has published more books about DC than Marvel, because DC has no trouble with a book about the JSA having a JSA cover or a Batman book with a Batman cover.

As it pertains to the new cover, what male Marvel superheroes in the 1960s wore capes? Off the top of my head there's Thor, Black Panther, Vision, and Dr. Strange, and that guy on the cover looks like none of them. I'm sure they were rushed to find some new art, but that's just bland.

• 4 weeks later...