Cartoon network signs Weird Al Yankovic

JackFetch

I’ve just signed a production deal with Cartoon Network.

When I say that I’ve “just” signed, that means that I actually signed several months ago, but this is the first time I’ve been allowed to openly talk about it.

Without going into too much detail, the good folks at Cartoon Network decided that they liked me and wanted me to provide some content for them – series, features, animation, live-action… they were open to anything. So after a couple years (yes, really) of the lawyers going back and forth, we finalized a deal – now all I have to do is start making stuff!

The first thing I’m on track to do for them is, in fact, a live-action feature film.

You may ask all your obvious questions now.

Have you already written the script?

Yes – in fact, I’m about to start the third draft. It needs to be fine-tuned a bit more and it hasn’t been officially green-lit yet, but it’s gotten some very positive buzz at the network.

Is is going to be a sequel to UHF?

Sorry, no.

Is it going to be a documentary about Winston Churchill?

Again, no.

Is it going to be funny?

Well, that’s the intention.

Are you going to star in it?

No, but I’ll be making an appearance in it. Cartoon Network had requested that I develop a show with a much younger protagonist – the actual star of the movie will most likely be teenage.

Are you going to direct it?

Yes. I’m very excited about that. I’ve directed a lot of music videos as well as the “Al’s Brain” 3-D attraction and the “Spy Hard” title sequence, but I’ve never shot an entire feature film, so this will be a big first for me.

When’s the movie going to be done?

Hey, don’t rush me! I don’t know. It’s a miracle any time a movie actually gets made, so I don’t want to jinx it too much. The very earliest we’d be able to shoot it would be this fall (after my national concert tour). I’ll definitely keep you posted.

What’s the movie going to be abou—

That’s it. No more questions. I’ve said all that I can say for now. Thanks for coming to the press conference.

http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/this-thing-im-doing/

Pretty funny timing since I just made a "Wheel of Fish" reference about an hour ago(to a kid that didn't get it). I grew up listening to his music, and saw UHF in theater. It'll be nice to see if he's still got it.