Episode 32

RSS

Ahhh....UNIT dating...what a fun subject. Derrick Sherwin who set up the UNIT/stranded on earth situation intended it to be a few years in the future, but later production teams (even as early as Barry Letts producership) decided they were set in the year it was made, but even then there were inconstancies. There's a whole wiki page devoted to the subject (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIT_dating_controversy).

This story had 4 different writers. David Whitaker wrote it (and rewrote it, and rewrote it) and eventually Terrence Dicks arranged for him to be paid in full for the story, and then took it to Malcolm Hulke and totally rewrote it with him (with assistant script editor Trevor Ray doing a rewrite too). I rather like it, but it is a bit of a mess.

The problem with any Computer game is, given the Doctor doesn't use a lot of physical violence (and doesn't use guns) it's hard to have him as the hero/protaganist. I think some sort of quest would be a good storyline (a Keys of Marinus/Key to Time type thing).

Regarding Liz leaving (and i know this is covering ground for next week), it was a combination of two things. Barry Letts and Terrence Dicks decided she wasn't working and that having a companion who was as intelligent as the Doctor was the wrong dynamic, and that you needed someone for the Doctor to explain things to. But even if they wanted to keep her on, the actress Caroline John was pregnant and had decided she wanted to leave.

I rather like it, but it is a bit of a mess.

Exactly. It's fun, the swerve with the monsters is neat, the episode looks good, and the action is great. But it never comes together.

The problem with any Computer game is, given the Doctor doesn't use a lot of physical violence (and doesn't use guns) it's hard to have him as the hero/protaganist. I think some sort of quest would be a good storyline (a Keys of Marinus/Key to Time type thing).

Quite true. If Doctor Who were to become a video game, it should be a PC quest / puzzle-type game.

Thanks for clearing that up about Liz.

"They're the English sir, the cn do anything we can do but better, and with class". Truer words have never been spoken, although I'd be a little less concerned with obtaining our money and a little more concerned with repaying the 234 years of back-taxes you owe us. ^_^

As to UNIT's susceptibility to infiltrators disguised as deliverymen, I'm afraid its just a very British weakness rooted in Breakfast rituals. You'll note that in Bond film The Living Daylights an assassin sneaks in dressed as a milkman.

The history of Doctor Who video games has always been rather tenuous. They've made six thus far, and not a single one has been particularly good.

I would imagine a good Doctor Who game being largely similar to Mass Effect. Start of with an unseen Doctor getting killed, cut to character creation screen where you design your own regeneration and then off to the TARDIS. Then a story picks up that takes you from planet to planet, picking up various companions with various skills. Gameplay variation via your sonic screwdriver, used to hack doors, disable enemies with an electronic element and usual gaming techy stuff.

I'd buy it.