Episode 128

RSS

It's a classic-style episode of Dread Media as Desmond and Darryll sit down to review the recently released Zombieland. Then Desmond looks at two recent Radical Comics releases: FVZA #2 and Legends: The Enchanted #0. He tops it all off with a track-by-track review of Slayer's latest album, World Painted Blood. Make sure you get your questions in for Jeff Strand's upcoming appearance, and check out the following tunes: "Zombie Apocalypse" by Kirby Krackle, "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica, "Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants" by Dillinger Escape Plan, "Hate Worldwide" by Slayer, and "The Hills Have Eyes" by The 69 Eyes. [ 1:34:49 || 43.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_128.mp3

Agreed on the opening. The film probably would have been a lot better if it hadn't been preceded by Shaun of the Dead. No bad characters though, and its genuinely funny. The final action sequences were a let down because they lacked the stylistic flair of a lot of the early stuff. Fun film though, probably the lightest apocalypse movie I've seen.

I have to admit, I'm kind of ashamed of my review. I went real easy on a film I would normally trash. I was literally desperate to be entertained that night and because I chuckled a few times I gave it a pass. The morning after, I woke up and I wondered, "what the hell did I watch last night? Oh yeah, ZOMBIELAND. What an empty, hollow, souless experience that was."

This picture contained a lot of things I'm generally done with in cinema such as zombies, which I'm kind of sick of; Video game violence which has no place in a horror picture and college student characters who -no offence to college students- are way over represented in these flicks. Plus the dialogue was weak, the characters generic and the acting tepid. Whew, glad I got that off my chest. Bring on the next feature!

I have to admit, I'm kind of ashamed of my review. I went real easy on a film I would normally trash. I was literally desperate to be entertained that night and because I chuckled a few times I gave it a pass. The morning after, I woke up and I wondered, "what the hell did I watch last night? Oh yeah, ZOMBIELAND. What an empty, hollow, souless experience that was."

This picture contained a lot of things I'm generally done with in cinema such as zombies, which I'm kind of sick of; Video game violence which has no place in a horror picture and college student characters who -no offence to college students- are way over represented in these flicks. Plus the dialogue was weak, the characters generic and the acting tepid. Whew, glad I got that off my chest. Bring on the next feature!

This.

This.

What?

Just wanted to say that if you absolutely have not had enough zombie in your movie diet then please skip ZOMBIELAND and refer instead to our review of THE LIVING DEAD AT THE MANCHESTER MORGUE in episode 118. I feel it's one of the best zombie films ever made and easily one of my very favorite movies covered on DREAD MEDIA.

I agree with the above statement. I also forgot to mention that I am forever ashamed at how shitty the memory of my own personal experiences is.

I can remember what issue of The Flash I first bought but not that I'd been Earth-2 staff for like a year before starting Dread Media...duh.

• 1 month later...

I was holding off on this episode until I saw Zombieland, so sorry for the delayed feedback.

That said, I really enjoyed the film. Was it as funny as I had heard? No, but I loved its style, humor, and action all the same.

And I agree with Des: It has the best opening credits since Watchmen.