Episode 40

RSS

In "Carnival of Monsters," The Doctor and Jo are miniaturized and placed in a machine where they must fight for their lives. Then in "Frontier in Space," they're pawns in The Master's plan to destroy two spacefaring races. Also, Dan and Mike speak fondly of Roger Delgado, whose tenure as The Master ended with the latter story. [ 1:03:32 || 29.1 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_040.mp3

just got to listen to this episode...another good one :-)

I love Carnival of Monsters, it's one of my 2 favourite Pertwee's (along with Day of the Daleks). I just think it's a really good story, with some great lines and wonderful performances.

Fronteir in Space I haven't seen for a while, but my main memory is the wonderfulness of Delgado...Sadly the ending is notoriously an anticlimax for fans of Delgado as he just disappears from the story right at the end. There's a story that the producer Barry Letts was unhappy with the original ending and it got reedited....and you can tell, it's a bit of a mess.

Next weeks episodes are a mixed bag. Planet of the Daleks is poor...really dull and preachy, with perhaps the worst of the "Pertwee Moralising" moments at the end. Green Death on the other hand is very good, despite a couple of missteps (the patronising portrayal of the welsh, and some poor effects). And thankfully the Brigadier is back to his old self after the "idiot" performance in the Three Doctors.

Green Death on the other hand is very good, despite a couple of missteps (the patronising portrayal of the welsh, and some poor effects). And thankfully the Brigadier is back to his old self after the "idiot" performance in the Three Doctors.

Years later, they'd continue to that with Torchwood! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I used to dislike Carnival of Monsters quite a lot, I found it repetitive & dull. Then I discovered that this was because of an editing mistake with the VHS release of the story which resulted in several scenes from one episode being re-used in another. Now I think it's kinda harmless fun, but still not my fave of the Pertwee Era (of which there are several). Frontier in Space actually is very repetitive, I mean, how many different ways can two people be imprisoned in 6 25 minute episodes?? Vera Fusek (the President) was the real unsung hero of this story, IMO. Her performance outshines the rest of the (frankly lackluster) guest cast!