Episode 43

RSS

After the TARDIS suffers a power loss, The Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith are trapped on an alien world with savages, Daleks, and a living city ("Death to the Daleks"). Then The Doctor returns to Peladon, where he uncovers a conspiracy while mediating a dispute between the ruling and working classes ("The Monster of Peladon"). [ 48:12 || 22.1 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_043.mp3

Another great show :-)

I quite like Death to the Daleks. It is the same Terry Nation nonsense, but it's fun at least. I'd also disagree about Pertwee not having a good Dalek story, I thought Day of the Daleks was a fine story.

Monster of Peladon though...oh dear. I'm not a huge fan of the original, but at least it holds the interest. Monster is just awful. Sadly Pertwee is looking less and less interested too, although he improves in his final story.

Planet of the Spiders is a funny one, it's not a great story, and has some awful bits in it (including some of the worst acting you'll ever see lol), and the less said about episode 2 the better, but it's got some really good stuff too. One thing to look out for is that one of the spiders is voiced by Kismet Delgado, Roger Delgado's widow. She was having money problems at the time (I think there were problems with the insurance company paying out over her husbands death) so the Doctor Who team arranged for her to have this part to help her out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Looking at this episode from a 2014 perspective, it's interesting what Michael and Dan had predicted. The first example is "Why haven't the Ice Warriors been brought back?" ... As we now know, they came back just last year, in an episode with David Warner. The other is discussion about the regeneration rule. They had been discussing a rumor about Matt Smith leaving after his then-upcoming second year, and there was question about whether they would gloss over the rule, or if it would be addressed.

As seen in Time of the Doctor, it was addressed, with a whole new set of regenerations.

They had also talked about how much better some of the Pertwee episodes were in black and white. I don't know if they have tried this, but my tv has a setting that allows me to change it from color to black and white. I've changed it to watch in B&W on some of the Pertwees, and they come across as much better than when they are in color. I don't know why, but there it is.

I'm really looking forward to the end of Pertwee's run. He had Liz Shaw, an excellent companion, followed by Useless. I remember adoring Sarah Jane, but in going back to her era with Pertwee, she's like the love child of Useless and Liz. Yeah, she'll go investigate now and then, but she really doesn't bring anything to the story. I know she's *much* better with Baker, but in this era ... she's kind of ... blah.