Is It Wednesday Yet?

RSS

"Duh! Te gorilla superhero in the JLA is Congorilla, not Gorilla-Man!

Spelling error? It's in Gorilla Man #1

This book is just so weird. It's not bad, but the whole thing feels pretentious. JMS is trying to fix Superman, when there was nothing wrong with him in the first place.

His book isn't selling too well, and nobody really gives too shits about him or his comic right now. I'll wait for the story to finish, hear other peoples thoughts and hope to get a cheap trade from Amazon before I get the JMS run on Superman.

Otherwise, good work.

This book is just so weird. It's not bad, but the whole thing feels pretentious. JMS is trying to fix Superman, when there was nothing wrong with him in the first place.

His book isn't selling too well, and nobody really gives too shits about him or his comic right now. I'll wait for the story to finish, hear other peoples thoughts and hope to get a cheap trade from Amazon before I get the JMS run on Superman.

Otherwise, good work.

I'm talking from a writing standpoint. There is nothing wrong with Superman's character. He doesn't *need* to reconnect with the common man. More than any other hero (Maybe beside Green Arrow), Superman lives and breathes for the common man. Compare him to Batman or Wonder Woman or Hal Jordan, and what sets him apart? His genuine concern for the way the common man lives and perceives him. He doesn't have to act like a benevolent god, righting wrongs, he needs to protect them from the things they can't fight. They can fix their own cars and clean their own stockrooms. They can't fight Brainiac.

Otherwise, good work.

I'm talking from a writing standpoint. There is nothing wrong with Superman's character. He doesn't *need* to reconnect with the common man. More than any other hero (Maybe beside Green Arrow), Superman lives and breathes for the common man. Compare him to Batman or Wonder Woman or Hal Jordan, and what sets him apart? His genuine concern for the way the common man lives and perceives him. He doesn't have to act like a benevolent god, righting wrongs, he needs to protect them from the things they can't fight. They can fix their own cars and clean their own stockrooms. They can't fight Brainiac.

Your description really makes Superman sound like a needy prick, who NEEDS everyone to love him.

But to go with how your saying it, Superman is like a god to these people, and no matter how much he wants to be one of them, he never will be. He never needs to go through the simple troubles of fixing a car, or seeing an abusive husband/father in action, as he can take care of it in an instant. Flipping the coin, normal people will never feel the adrenaline of fighting Brainiac, or the rush of knowing they have the world in their hands, and they are Earth's greatest heroes.

Also, in story terms, he just spent (Lets do it in DC days) 3 months away from Earth, and there was just an attack by thousands of Kryptonians, and also a hate rally against Superman and his kind by Sam Lane. If anything, he may need to go on this pilgrimage to prove that he is still just like everyone else, by going around the country, to get back in touch with his common man. Also, (DC days) these people just saw a god take over and put them all under the Anti-Life Equation for months, which is living hell, so they really need to believe that Superman is one of them.

However, I am going to negate my own point by saying that the story and where Superman goes will be decided by fans writing in, which will gain the comics publicity and in theory up the sales of the comic. So, like Wonder Woman's new look, this is just a PR move, that will be pretty much worthless in 3 years time.

Also:

"Hey, douche, you just spent a year in space. How about spending some time with your fucking wife?"

If you reword that a little, you get what Lois is really saying to Superman :P

Morrison did it best I think. In the middle of saving the Earth from Bizarros, fighting robots, and confronting a superpowered Lex Luthor, Superman comforts a teenager about to kill herself. It was only one page, but it showed that while Superman protects the planet from all the larger than life threats it faces, one person is just as important as the entire planet's worth.

Morrison did it best I think. In the middle of saving the Earth from Bizarros, fighting robots, and confronting a superpowered Lex Luthor, Superman comforts a teenager about to kill herself. It was only one page, but it showed that while Superman protects the planet from all the larger than life threats it faces, one person is just as important as the entire planet's worth.

And this issue ripped that scene off!

Your description really makes Superman sound like a needy prick, who NEEDS everyone to love him.

I think JMS making him walk across America to kiss ass makes him sound much more like a needy prick.

It does. Wondering if everyone likes you and doing your actions to be liked, is bad. But actually going out to "Connect" with your fellow man, is a lot worse.