The Last Airbender

RSS

I have made it no secret that I am a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I've watched the entire series in a five-day span on two separate occasions, and I know virtually everything there is to know about it. The main reason it was such a brilliant show was because its characters are among the most enjoyable and well developed you will ever find in animated media. Every major character had definitive motivations and backgrounds, and was given tons of screen time over the three magnificent seasons to develop and become an even deeper and more complex person. Thus, when I found out there would be a live-action movie made about the series, I was immediately skeptical about how it could possibly be pulled off, and even come close to doing the series justice.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/m/the-last-airbender

^Ditto.^

I don't think that it's impossible to make a great Airbender movie, even with the time constraints. The problem was that this movie just focused on all the things that didn't matter, and was only an hour and a half long. I mean, in an era where fantasy films are often two and a half hours long, why couldn't they have used an extra hour to develop the characters?

Because Shyamalan is a dickhead, that's why.