Hellboy

Missy

Well, we're three weeks away from the release of Hellboy, and I can't wait. Fox has been airing the newest commercials, and they look sweet!

Though I own several HB trades, I'm not too familiar with the characters. Question for the people who are fans of the series: Does this look like it's going to be a good adaptation?

• 2 weeks later...
I read the comic the movie is based on. Another reason not to be excited.

Quite, you! Comic book adaptations always blow. A better read would have been the TPBs.

Wasn't X2 based on a particular issue? or can I not understand the subtleties of internet sarcasm?

I read the comic the movie is based on. Another reason not to be excited.

Quite, you! Comic book adaptations always blow. A better read would have been the TPBs.

Wasn't X2 based on a particular issue? or can I not understand the subtleties of internet sarcasm?

You misunderstood me. I meant that when movies are translated into comics (not the other way around) they suck.

And yes, X2 was a loose adaptation of God Loves, Man Kills.

So, who's seen it?

I did, and thought it was great. (Much better than Blade II, which was also directed by del Toro.) Unlike Walking Tall, the other big release this week, Hellboy spread the action out, and took its time telling the story -- instead of rushing headlong into it.

I saw it since Walking Tall or that Tom Hanks movie weren't playing at my theatre  <_<  , wasn't bad but nothing I'd jump at the chance to see for a second time unless it comes to video.

Much better than DD and Hulk, that's for sure. Not as good as Spider-Man, Superman I & II, or Batman however. But I'd rank it on par with Blade -- decent flick that balanced a rather convoluted story with the necessary action.

I saw it since Walking Tall or that Tom Hanks movie weren't playing at my theatre  <_<  , wasn't bad but nothing I'd jump at the chance to see for a second time unless it comes to video.

Much better than DD and Hulk, that's for sure. Not as good as Spider-Man, Superman I & II, or Batman however. But I'd rank it on par with Blade -- decent flick that balanced a rather convoluted story with the necessary action.

I'm sick of all this DD bashing.

Much better than DD and Hulk, that's for sure.  Not as good as Spider-Man, Superman I & II, or Batman however.  But I'd rank it on par with Blade -- decent flick that balanced a rather convoluted story with the necessary action.

Who's bashing DD? All I said is that Hellboy was "much better" than it. That doesn't mean I thought DD was crap, 'cause I don't. Crap is Batman 3 and 4, and DD ranks much higher than those two films.

Much better than DD and Hulk, that's for sure.  Not as good as Spider-Man, Superman I & II, or Batman however.  But I'd rank it on par with Blade -- decent flick that balanced a rather convoluted story with the necessary action.

Who's bashing DD? All I said is that Hellboy was "much better" than it. That doesn't mean I thought DD was crap, 'cause I don't. Crap is Batman 3 and 4, and DD ranks much higher than those two films.

I'll say DD was crap. Or at least that it sucked. I saw it for the first time this weekend and it was bad. Really bad. Affleck was shite, to quote my British friends.

The only good parts of the movie were looking at Jennifer Gardner (but dear God not listening to her try and act intimidating), Colin Farrell as Bullseye, and maybe a little bit of the Kingpin.

This just in: Hellboy beat Walking Tall in opening weekend revenues.

Hellboy: $23.5 million

Walking Tall: $15.3 million

Wow!

Eh, not that surprising. I think the Rock is starting to lose alot of popularity with his movies, not to mention that I think Walking Tall is playing at less theatres than Hell Boy has been. This news doesn't shock me one bit.