Exiles

Tom Cataldi

I've heard OF Exiles, but never read a copy. But I've been looking around on uncannyxmen.net lately, and this series looks really interesting. Superheroes from all different realities are brought together, and sent to different realities to fix events that would otherwise destroy the space-time continuum. It kinda reminds me of Sliders from what I'm reading. Is it worth getting into?

I have read the first 44 and they are pretty good. Morph is funny and Blink and Mimic are good lead characters and some of the others where interesting like Joseph who was Rogue and Magneto's kid. His power was anything he touched turned to metal including himself. Pity he didn't last long. The last issue I read was they were going back to the AOA reality.

• 2 months later...

My little brother just picked up the first 8 trades and I read the first one and ended up finishing all 8 in one night. Simply amazing stuff if you're a fan of X-Men at all or if you just like good comics you'll enjoy this series. Basic setup is there are rifts in time all over the alternate Marvel universes and a mysterious figure known as the Timekeeper(or Timebroker I can't remember it's not that important) summons a team of mutants from various dimensions to "fix" the problems with time. The fact that it takes place in different worlds lets some awesome stuff go down including a world ruled by a Dr. Doom Iron Man and one where Captain America is the lord of all vampires.

I keep meaning to buy these trades, but never do. Maybe I'll hit the store in the next few weeks to see what all of the hype is about. And is this book ending? I kept hearing that #60 was it, but they're currently on #62, which is the beginning of a new four-part story.

• 3 months later...

I have been enjoyed Exiles for over a year now. Its really a fantastic book, and it is great for people who know everything about comics just as well as people who know nothing. If you already know all the characters inside and out seeing different versions of them is a real pleasure. At the same time if you do not know who the characters are, 90% of the time someone on the team does not either and so you get a little bit of an in character introduction to them so you are never really lost.

One of my favorite characters was Nocturne, but Morph is always a delight. Shame they have not killed off certain people yet though. I think the writers have gotten attatched to some of the characters and are kinda losing the willingness to kill people off to keep the team roster rotating. (Consider, three of the six Exiles around in the most recent issue were also around in the first issue). Still, one of the best reads out there, I am always on the edge of my seat waiting for the newest issue.

Oh and Mr. Monday Night it was Timebroker.

Do I get to claim responsibility for hooking you on that book by getting the the first forty or so issues circulating through the Seven Card Studs.

I do have to say I much liked the earlier books better than the recent. You got more of the feeling that anything could happen. No matter what attachment there is. Of course they were also Judd Winick and he is a writing STAR to me. Much like TheSteve points out they no longer seem to have the guts to kill people off as well as they bring back people who have been in and out of the tales. They explain it all find and dandy, but that doesn't take from the overall tooliness of it.

Still since it is just getting started in a new direction it may be a good time for new people to pick it up, or leach on someone who does already, or better yet get someone to start buying it so you can leach on them. Hopefully the new direction will be good despite my mild concerns.

Well, it is becoming quite apparent that the Exiles are not ready to handle fixing universes without someone guiding them. They are managing to just make everything worse at this point. Which is good, because when they were in 'control' the book started to lose interest to me. So hopefully they will manage to use the next issue (68) to get themselves headed in the right direction prior to kicking it with the House of M in 69-71. Or better yet, maybe they will just cause more problems instead of less. Regardless, it was a fun read, especially since they are once again stuck in very difficult situations, and this time they have no one to blame but themselves. This is going to force them to respect how hard it is to put all the universes back together. Also on the plus side... Mimic is out of commission, and it might be a little while before he is rolling again. So maybe they might not have the guts to kill people off again, but they might have the guts to at least dispose of them for the time being.

By the way... in the last issue something cool was revealed about Mimic's powers.

I was not aware of this before, but he cannot mimic the same power twice, or even mimic two similar powers. So Sabretooth and Wolverine cannot stack for him, as an example. Apparently he is not limited to just mimicing mutant powers either... or at least that is being suggested. If it turns out to be false he will probably die.... and I will dance. I have been waiting for that sucker to kick the bucket for a while. Good character and all.... but one of the originals has got to kick it, even if it is Morph. But hopefully it will be Blink or Mimic as Morph is so much more entertaining than either of them.

I really hope Mimic kicks.

They've already gotten rid of Blink once, they almost got rid of Morph a couple times, and ever since the beginning of the book Mimic has been the strength of the team. His status dipped a little bit when the team was seperated and there was the whole brood thing but again, shortly afterward, was back in his role.

He isn't the leader but he's the Peter to the Exile's Jesus (BIBLICAL ALLUSION). So if they are making the worst of a good situation (failing miserably when in control) what better way to keep things shaken then by eliminating the only constant of the team.

I agree, I would like to see them lose Mimic, they had a great set up to do so in Issues 50 & 51. And although I never got Issue 51 Mimic was alive in 52, so I can only assume he survived.

I gotta agree, one of the coolest things about the book was that yes, anyone can die and if you do not like the team right now... give it a little bit of time and maybe it will change. One of the best additions to the team was Beak. No useful powers, no real skills, just a giant talking chicken. With Mimic out of commision for the time being it looks like the team actually needs to work to win, as opposed to just using Mimic to kill everything.

Spoilers for anyone who is still planning to read issues 50 and 51.

Anyhow, in 50 and 51 the Exiles go to a world which knows they are coming, or at least the Brotherhood knows they are coming. Destiny in particular, and they arrange a whole set of circumstances which include replacing Blink with Mystique and having her feign loss of her powers (Blink at this time has the Tallus) and claim that the mission is to go meet the Big M (who turns out to be an evil Mimic who is head of the Brotherhood in this reality.) The Exiles of course do not know that this is the case yet, and are in full trust of what 'Blink' has to say. So it would have been a great chance to kill Mimic which is what I was really hoping for. I never got 51 because it came in while I was at school and I do not prepay for my box, so someone nabbed that one from me and I have not gotten it yet. Regardless, Mimic was up against someone who by all rights could have / would have kicked his ass, in a situation where that person would have the upper hand on them.