Episode 212

RSS

It seems like a break from the norm is becoming the status quo lately. But the car chase movie is a cult genre unto itself, and Darryll's a big fan. So that's what the boys thought they were going to see in this week's Roadkill Review of Drive. Then Desmond brings it back to horror with a review of the killer car film Super Hybrid. Turn the ignition and tune into WDMP for the following crazy car tunes: "You Drive Me Nervous" by Alice Cooper, "Drive" by Amen, "Hybrid Moments" by The Misfits, and "The Helldriver" by Voivod. [ 1:16:50 || 35.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_212.mp3

Hey, you forgot to mention that Drive is based on the book by James Sallis. It's a very lean book, only piling up to 168 intense pages. It's an excellent crime novel, very noir, very tough. I recommend it if you liked the movie. It's a very quick read. Also for crime novel fans I'd suggest the his Turner trilogy. Good stuff.

You mentioned the music in the movie, and it reminded me of a favorite of mine. I grew up in the 80's, and love a lot of those sci-fi and action movies from that era, along with those great synth soundtracks. In that spirit, check out Kavinsky's EP 1986. It's on iTines. It's the 80's soundtrack that never was.

You're right, (insert hard-to-type user name here), I did forget the novel which I haven't read but was on my Amazon wishlist for ages. What did you think of the movie?

Thanks for the music recommendation. Very cool. I kept waiting for it to go all Daft Punk but it doesn't. Admirable restraint. The second song was vaguely Miami Vice Theme Music in a very good way while the final selection is all Magnum P.I. slash Airwolf which in my opinion was a helicopter.

oh why must you temp me?

Because it's fun!

Hey, you forgot to mention that Drive is based on the book by James Sallis. It's a very lean book, only piling up to 168 intense pages. It's an excellent crime novel, very noir, very tough. I recommend it if you liked the movie. It's a very quick read. Also for crime novel fans I'd suggest the his Turner trilogy. Good stuff.

Hi Curt! Welcome to the boards!

As someone who's read and watched Drive, how do they differ? I heard an interview with Refn on PRI: The Sound of Young America and it seemed as though a lot of it was added by him and Gosling.

Thanks for the music recommendation. Very cool. I kept waiting for it to go all Daft Punk but it doesn't. Admirable restraint. The second song was vaguely Miami Vice Theme Music in a very good way while the final selection is all Magnum P.I. slash Airwolf which in my opinion was a helicopter.

I don't get it...Airwolf was a helicpoter!

I don't get it...Airwolf was a helicpoter!

That's just your opinion. It may also have been Ernest Borgnine with helicopter-like prosthetics. It was the eighties, after all.