Episode 241

RSS

Let's get ready to PODDDDDDDDCAAAAAASSSSST! In this fight night edition of Dread Media, the fight card breaks down as follows: pay attention and place your bets! Round One: Your host knows that he can't beat author Dana Fredsti in a fight because she is a sword-fighter who hangs around with tigers. So instead he interviews her about her zombie-fighting novel Plague Town. Round Two: Desmond goes toe-to-toe with the Timur Bekmambetov-produced The Darkest Hour. Round Three: It's Battle Royale versus Battle Royale 2: Requiem with guest referees Damien Wilkens and Desmond Reddick! Round Four: It's a face-ripping good time as Devil Dinosaur, Jr. takes on the Wrestlemaniac in a new Stay Scary. And your main event, Round Five: a Triple Threat Match as Desmond takes on Darryll and Monster Brawl. It's sure to be a slobber-knocker! This week's fight songs are: "Fight 'Em Til You Can't" by Anthrax, "My Plague" by Slipknot, "In My Darkest Hour" by Megadeth, "Everyone I Went to High School With Is Dead" by Mr. Bungle, "Bodies" by Drowning Pool, "Backyard Brawl" by Alice Cooper, and "Fight Till You Die" by Pennywise. [ 2:18:34 || 66.7 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_241.mp3

Yowser - epic show this week, Des!

- The Dana Fedsti interview was great. She really came across well in each line of questioning - does it get more varied going from discussing novels to cat charities and sword-fighting in Army of Darkness?!?

- Hmmm, I'm guessing I pronounced Bekmambetov's surname wrong when reviewing Wanted. Oh well, I can just about live with that...

- Ah, that Des-Dubs partnership I was espousing! I have Battle Royale on my rent queue and have already forgotten the spoilers brought up (thanks alcohol!)

- Another good review from DDJr.

- Why have I not heard of Monster Brawl before now? As much as I like wrestling, I don't go in for films about wrestling unless they're documentaries. I may give this a look at some point.

- I could have made my email slightly clearer when I said "Human Centipede 2 makes me thankful for classification". I wasn't advocating them banning films of questionable taste, a) because "taste" is subjective to every individual film viewer, and b) the internet & torrenting has made banning films redundant - if you want to see a film that isn't immediately accessible, there's always a way to view it. My ill-expressed point was more that the UK has previous history with censorship (notably the video nasties) and that Tom Six is, at best, naive to rock up with an even wilder version of his cinematic calling card and expect distribution.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm pre-judging a film I have no intention of watching, but it's my choice not to watch it. Should a film classification board take that choice out of the hands of the people that do want to see it? I'd argue only if the film in question goes even beyond an 18 rating set out by the guidelines that any producer should be well aware of if they're doing their job. It comes down to a film-making choice: stand by the finished article and take the commercial hit, or compromise for the theatrical release and make available your intended product for the DVD, or if that doesn't get classified, stream it on the internet where the classification boards have no control.

Them's me thoughts.

- The Dana Fedsti interview was great. She really came across well in each line of questioning - does it get more varied going from discussing novels to cat charities and sword-fighting in Army of Darkness?!?

I know! She was great. She's a sword-fighting woman who hangs around large cats and writes novels about killing zombies. She's like Red Sonja crossed with Shanna and F. Paul Wilson. In another reality I would kill her worst enemy and lay him a her feet in tribute.