Episode 149

RSS

In 2004, 4Kids Entertainment licensed One Piece for English adaptation. This adaptation has the reputation of being one of the worst adaptations ever produced. In 2007, after the license was dropped by 4Kids, Funimation Entertainment acquired the license and produced their own version. Kellen has watched through a significant amount of both of these versions of the show and asks the question: While the Funimation dub is better, was what 4Kids did really as bad as most make it out to be? [ 28:09 || 13.8 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/animezingpodcast/episodes/animezing_149.mp3

The thing in One Piece with the Lollypop, reminds me of what cartoon netword did with DBZ and the character who was shown sucking on a pacifier. I am assuming that that was supposed to be something else and I don't think that it detracted from the show one bit.

I enjoyed the concept of this episode, Kellen. I hope you do more like it, maybe comparing an episode (or storyline) or two.

What Mike said. I like the series reviews but I also like the idea of doing one of these episodes between those. Others that would work would be one on Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood or even the original dub of Dragon Ball z and Kai.

I actually like the song over the rap. I remember in an interview with Eiichiro Oda, the interview asked why he drew them so rubbery and he answered that he wanted the reader to not get too worked up about the story. I think that was interesting.

The 4kids dubbing used to make me laugh. I did not notice the whitinening of the minstrel character, but laughed whenever the pirates talked about drinking fruit juice and passing out from indigestion. I caught an episode on vacation and showed it to my second cousin once. I felt a personal victory when the next evening he asked me whether "that pirate show" was on.

Since you did not jump on the bandwagon and bash the company anime fans love to hate, I would love to see more dub comparisons.