All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. One of the fun external things about last night's AEW Double or Nothing is the number of wantaway WWE stars tweeting about without giving a single fuck. No matter how successful AEW ultimately becomes, WWE have created this perfect storm by maintaining the creative "vision" of a senile, single-minded prick who cannot move on from anything. And pushes Roman Reigns as a top babyface.
  3. I don't see how it is racist. He is in a neighborhood that is full of poverty and crime so they took advantage of the drug dealer getting killed by stealing the drugs. It says more about poverty than race.
  4. Aladdin (1992): My favorite of the Disney Renaissance era of films. Barring the generally reckless depiction of Middle Eastern culture, it's aged wonderfully. The character acting and animation holds up as incredibly expressive and realistic. Abu is hilarious, and Frank Welker does a great job with him speaking almost English. The romance between Aladdin and Jasmine is, to my mind, Disney's truest romance. You like both characters, are rooting for them, and they match each other perfectly. There's a bit of animation near the end of the "Whole New World" sequence where Aladdin, in his Prince Ali disguise, reflexively shoulder-passes an apple to Jasmine as he did before when she first met him. The animation of the look of shock, realization, pure joy and finally sneaky understanding - all in about one second - damn near made her my favorite character. Jafar is also one of the most fun villains. He's fairly comedic, but not as intentionally farcical as Hades would be later on. He's threatening because he's simply a dick who is full of grounded ambition. He and Iago are a great double-act, and even though Jafar kicks him around a bit, in this film you get the sense that they are genuinely friends who continually scheme together. And, of course, Robin Williams' Genie is an insurmountable presence. You have to slow the film down and take his ad-libs one at a time to get all of what he's saying, but it's always hilarious.
  5. Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: This was a lot of fun, especially Mickey geeking out over everything. Though I do have to ask: who is this for? The comedy is for kids between the ages of five and ten, but the violence is PG-13. A hard PG-13. There are severed limbs and heads, seriously broken bones, and lethal shots to the head. If I were a parent, I would be very iffy about showing this to a child under 10 -- even a mature one. That said, the only real negative for me was the Arkham bit; it went on too long. Otherwise it was a rather enjoyable 90 minutes. Oh! Sit through the credits for some cool comic book covers and sequel bait.
  6. Yesterday
  7. The Perfection: I'm not sure how I completely feel about this movie. It wasn't bad. It had some interesting body horror and some interesting twists but there are moments it felt like they threw everything at the wall to see what sticks. Legally Blonde: Reese Witherspoon is phenomenal. A less charismatic star could have tanked the film but as is, this is great. Zombieland: Everyone is pretty cool in the film. It's a fun horror comedy. Films: 68 MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted: 2
  8. I watched a YouTube clip the "ice cream man" scene in the 2018 Death Wish remake. Wow. WOW. I didn't notice how bad this was the first time I saw this, and I can't believe they got away with that. That was obscenely racist.
  9. The Swamp Thing reviews are out, and they are overwhelmingly positive.
  10. Last week
  11. Ian and James were some of the first podcasters I ever listened to, starting with their Batman ‘89 review, so this was a real treat. Funnily enough, Ian never told me who would be on third up until the day we recorded, so in the back of my head I thought Adham Fisher might’ve been on tap to contribute his rankings 😆
  12. @James D. - "If I didn't know that Jim Carrey is an anti-vaxxer and I hadn't lost all respect for him, I'd want to see him play the Riddler role again." This made me LOL. In fairness to him in his Riddler role and wasted potential, it's possible he didn't have the acting chops in 1994 that he displayed later on. He may have gotten better over time. And at that time, people expected him to basically play Fire Marshall Bill from In Living Color.
  13. Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: It's a lot better than I was expecting. It's got some real funny moments. I especially liked the gag with Poison Ivy. There are two things that bugged me about it though. I hated Robin's voice. It just irritated me for some reason. The second is something I had to work to get past in other DC shows and they brought it to a new level here. How are we supposed to pronounce Ra's Al Ghul? I don't really care which way we decide on but can we just pick one please? It is pronounced differently in this movie depending on who says it. Robin says RAISH while everyone else says ROZ.
  14. Delete

DC reboot

Loved his Mister Miracle run. Loved his Batman run until issue #50. Then it just because the 79th rehash of something hurts Bruce emotionally so he gets too dark and needs to be pulled back yadda yadda.
  15. Donomark

DC reboot

Sucks that he may not get to finish his much touted 100 issue run, but to be real I do not care. King's run has never been consistently good, and since the blowback from issue #50 and what's happened in Heroes in Crisis, it's interesting to see DC willing to cut him loose for whatever reason. King's a nice guy with an earnest vision for his story, but he's nowhere near as good as people have said he is, or at least his Batman run isn't.
  16. Forgot to log these: Slaughterhouse Rulez/The Man Who KIlled Kitler and then The Bigfoot: reviews forthcoming. Features: 41 Shorts: 15 Documentaries: 5 Rewatches: 4
  17. I really enjoy this series, and the rotating guest line-up! It was great to hear James again. Looking forward to the next one (whenever that may be).
  18. Zodiac: Starring Jake Gyllenhall, Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. Directed by David Fincher. Having known nothing about the Zodiac killer, I'm glad the movie I was introduced to him on is purportedly the most accurate in terms of events. Gyllenhall was great as always, and it was cool seeing Ruffalo as a more comparatively grizzled character compared to his character in "Spotlight". The film was sufficiently creepy, but tbh I don't know how I felt about long, protracted sequences of actual murders that really happened. It feels exploitative, as opposed to instances like the woman and her baby who got away.
  19. Miles Morales: Spider-Man (vol.2) #4-#6: I wasn't crazy about the first couple of issues of Saladin Ahmed's run, but I checked back in and then doubled back to the last couple of ones to catch up. I'm liking the series much more now. It's perfectly paced from issue to issue, balancing Miles' school life with his Spidey life well. Bendis always tended to swallow up his Spider-Men with one overarching story, so I've barely seen subplots develop, unlike with Ahmed where we get douchey Vice Principal JJ-esque character, and Miles' girlfriend. I'm still reeling from the artwork by Javier Gorron. Miles and Ganke have to be...seventeen now? Maybe that makes sense, but I still have no idea when this massive time skip would've occurred. I think the plots and stories are good, Ahmed's dialogue is hit or miss. He's constant with current NY dialect, and there are times that the art doesn't translate the emotional intent of the lingo in ways I find believable, making the slang appear a bit much. I know Ahmed's a NY native so I don't doubt the accuracy, but it doesn't read as seamless, and also doesn't sound like Bendis' characters. After nine years, Miles and Ganke all of a sudden talk like they're right out of MTV. I think Jason Reynolds was a bit better with that in his Miles novel. But I'm liking the current run a lot more now than I did in the beginning. Single Issues: 181 Trade Paperbacks: 6
  20. This looks rather interesting. There's no mention of John, which is good after what Terminator Genisys did to him. The less bulky Terminators are a great idea. And I wonder if the Arnie we see is the human on which the models are based rather than another older version of the T-800. (Yeah, I know there's a cut scene from Terminator 3 in which they reveal this, but cut scenes don't count.)
  21. The Master

DC reboot

Both Bleeding Cool and Newsarama are reporting that Tom King will be leaving Batman sooner than expected. His run was always planned as 100-plus issues, but now word is he'll be departing the book around #85 / the end of 2019.
  22. S-T

Jigsaw

Plus, there's absolutely no way he could have known about the crimes of anyone involved. He is either the world's greatest detective, or he has superpowers. I said in the review I wrote after I saw it opening night that Jigsaw "might be the most ridiculous Mary Sue character in cinematic history." This movie only underlines that absurdity. The fact that none of the characters from the previous movies show up is a big oversight. But as Dubs and I suggested independent of each other in 2010, there actually is a Jigsaw cult in this movie.
  23. Batgirl #35 (2019): Babs vs the Terrible Trio. Good issue. Batman Beyond #32 (2019): Good. Single Issues: 178 Trade Paperbacks: 6
  24. James D.

Jigsaw

I never even thought of that angle, but you're absolutely right.
  25. S-T

Jigsaw

It was never mentioned in any of the previous 7 movies that Jigsaw even has a nephew. That seems like a big deal. Ridiculous retcon. And could Jigsaw be any more of a two-faced hypocrite? He knew Anna killed her baby, and let her husband go crazy anyway. Jigsaw is as guilty of his death as Anna is. How about you expose her crimes, so her husband doesn't go crazy and kill himself, and then put her in a deathtrap.
  26. Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: I went in with decent expectations, having not read the main crossovers and only a few issues of the animated versions. LOVED IT. This is a stunningly entertaining movie with a witty script and a true realization of how these characters would interact if they really did have a team-up adventure. What helped my viewing was me going in not knowing how violent the movie is. You seeing the Nickelodeon logo at the beginning, so you think it's a kids movie. And for the most part, it's *not* not a kid's movie. But it's also a PG-13 movie hiding to surprise you. There's blood, tons of murder and light swearing. Much more at home tonally with the DC DTVs than anything they might show on Nick. That went a long way for me, as there was little holding back on the stakes. But most everyone's voices were great. Troy Baker has been doing Batman (and the Joker) for years now, so it was cool seeing him featured in something that wasn't strictly kids fare. Rachel Bloom is perfect as Batgirl. Part of it is that Babs is written flawlessly, with the Burnside version very much at the forefront of the interpretation, and works well with the Turtles. Damian is the only one that's less than perfect, mostly because the voice is much more nebbish than Stuart Allan, who's going on his sixth performance with the upcoming Hush film. The four Turtles were all solid, with Mikey being really funny. Shredder was badass, and his two fights with Batman will light up fanboys hearts from the jump. I can't say enough great things about this film. It's funny, the action is great, everyone is in character, and it's overall a blast. 9/10, highly recommended.
  1. Load more activity