Sailor Moon Relicenced

Venneh

Hey.....hey....I'm right here with my anime podcast :D. Holy shit so fucking stoked if they can put a good dub together.

It's going to be a bit of a transition to not be using the names that I grew up with but this is still must buy BluRay for me.

Also hoping there is super success for this, I want to see an equivilent to the Rock the Dragon Set for Sailor Moon with the old dub.

Did I mention SO FUCKING STOKED~!~!~!!!!!!!!

(PS split for its own thread, this deserves it)

A friend of mine tried to get me into Sailor Moon recently, but couldn't decide which version to have me watch (the English version she grew up with, or the original Japanese version). I tried watching both and all the changes in the English version were painful. This looks pretty cool. Viz does excellent adaptations. Hell, I actually prefer their English dubs of Naruto and Bleach to the originals.

The exact quote reads, "Viz aims to release the franchise digitally with English subtitles starting this summer, followed by the English dub starting in late 2014." So according to the way they worded it, they should be releasing English dubbed episodes online in late 2014. That's what Viz does with their other shows, too. The only problem is that they sometimes don't keep all the English episodes online forever; they rotate them. Right now, the original Naruto anime has every episode dubbed and subbed on Hulu, while Naruto Shippuden has every episode subbed, but only 10 episodes at a time dubbed. I guess they want to sell those DVDs. So when the Sailor Moon dub goes up on Hulu, you may want to jump on it ASAP before the episodes start going out of rotation.

Basically the defining show of the magical girl trope. Amazing character arcs, interactions, and friendships, and the villains are pretty damn good (the monsters of the weeks are pretty dumb, but fun). It's 90s animation, and pretty damn good for being 20 years old.

It's one of those classics I recommend watching at least once in your life.

If someone's never watched anime before in their life, IDK how this would grab them. It would be like giving someone who's never read a comic before Showcase #4.

And man, even Sailor Moon filler eps aren't as egregious as DragonBall filler.

I'm talking about the repeated animation. DBZ has that too, but on an April Fool's episode for my DBZ podcast we watched an episode of Sailor Moon, and Mars does her fire attack about 4 or 5 times with the exact same animation sequence. You can say a lot about DBZ's repetitious fights and filler, but they never really did anything like that. And I'm not dogging on SM, it's just a product of its time.

• 1 month later...

Viz has announced the cast.

Main Voice Cast

Stephanie Sheh as Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon
Kate Higgins as Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury
Cristina Vee as Rei Hino/Sailor Mars
Amanda C. Miller as Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter
Cherami Leigh as Minako Aino/Sailor Venus
Robbie Daymond as Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask

Supporting Voice Cast

Johnny Yong Bosch As Artemis
Michelle Ruff as Luna
Danielle Nicole as Naru Osaka
Ben Diskin as Gurio Umino
Tara Platt as Ikuko Tsukino
Keith Silverstein as Kenji Tsukino
Nicolas Roye as Shingo Tsukino
Cindy Robinson as Queen Beryl
Todd Haberkorn as Jadite
Liam O' Brien as Nephrite
Lucien Dodge as Zoicite
Patrick Seitz as Kunzite

Source.

Pretty decent cast. Sheh is pretty fantastic and I think can carry the role. Christina Vee was awesome in Madoka. I will admit some of them I've never heard of before but still. Woo!