Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

Fight Club: Yknow, even knowing the twist ahead of time, this film's still really great.

Films Watched: 23

While it's well made, I really think it's aged poorly. 

...A bunch of affluent white men complain about how hard they have it? Yeah, okay, fuck off. 

I don't think the fact that the "Fight Club" being white male antagonists dates the film whatsoever. 

I mean, 2017 America... 

By that same token, Hot Fuzz holds up masterfully in light of Brexit.

Edited by You Know Who

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Socket: horror short whose director I interviewed.

The Fan: creepy, sleazy German film of obsession from 1982.

LFO: whoa...another German movie. Just realized that. This is the director of Berberian Sound Studio. Another film relating to sound, but one that jumps around a little too much for my taste.

Features: 25

Shorts: 10

Documentaries: 2

Rewatches: 0

Aladdin: It was on TV and it's a fun Disney movie, well animated, and well voiced. I'm surprised I haven't seen people boycotting it, considering "Allah" is used many times and everyone is unmistakably Muslim. Reagrdless, this is also a turning point for Disney because with Robin Williams, we had a change in how Disney cast their voicing. Prior to this, you would have the occasional big name star in the voice cast but most were voice actors. This would change massively going forward.

Yes, Disney is one of my areas of geekdom. So sue me.

Showgirls: I felt like getting it out of the way for this year now.  I've said my peace before.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues: I don't know why I was expecting this to be any better than the original. I laughed a couple of time?

Films: 35
Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Groundhog Day

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Zoolander No. 2

Duck Soup: I will admit, to a modern audience, The Marx Brothers might be an acquired taste. They are comedy anarchists with most of their films being barely constrained bouts of insanity. Duck Soup, a title that makes no sense, is that at it's zenith. What we have is Groucho Marx becoming dictator of a nation and starting a war over being called an upstart. One of the reasons it works is that up to this point, the studio would always saddle the Marx Brothers's films with a romance subplot between two boring people. None of that here.

Films: 36
Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Zoolander No. 2

Double Impact: OMG this is a classic, and one of Jean Claude Van Dame's best. He really does great playing two different people, and the twin effects hold up really well. The action is terrific, especially at the end when fucking Bolo Yeung turns into Donkey Kong. Easily rivals Bloodsport for Van Dame's all time greatest films.

Lo And Behold: Werner Herzog's documentary on the implications and intricacies of a connected world. Brilliantly filmed. It shares pockets of massive ideas without diving too deep into any one of them, and in a lot of cases that's probably for the better. It's a remarkably hopeful Herzog doc in that it only ponders the end of mankind for about a third of the film.

Features: 31

Shorts: 21

Documentaries: 3

Rewatches: 0

Predator (1987): This is actually one of the more straight-forward, serious Arnie films. There are a few quips and the various characters are almost larger than life, but it really sells the threat of the Predator in having them be COMPLETELY fucking outmatched. It's a different beast than Commando or Total Recall or the Running Man, and I can see why it caught on. Moreover, the cast of characters including Jesse Ventura, Carl Weathers, Bill Duke and Sonny Landham are really fun to watch. This is a classic, but a genuine classic in the vein of the first two Terminators rather than the classics of the action movie genre which is mainly silly fun.