• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Early Fourth fireworks as 'War,' 'Four' jockey

By Nicole Sperling

Major fireworks are looming over next year's Fourth of July weekend if Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox both stick to their plans to launch major sci-fi films on one of the most lucrative moviegoing weekends of the year.

Fox was first to plant its banner on the holiday: Late last year, it announced that its adaptation of Marvel Comics' "Fantastic Four" -- starring Michael Chiklis and directed by Tim Story -- would open Friday, July 1, the beginning of the four-day holiday weekend next year as the Fourth falls on a Monday.

But Paramount Pictures is now moving onto the same territory with plans to open its "War of the Worlds" -- a Paramount/DreamWorks co-production based on the H.G. Wells novel, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise -- on Wednesday, June 29, two days before "Four's" scheduled opening.

And, so far, neither studio is backing down.

" 'Fantastic Four' is in the league of 'X-Men' and 'Spider-Man,' and over the last two summers those movies have opened to an average of over $100 million," Fox executive vp marketing Jeffrey Godsick said. " 'Fantastic Four' has been shooting for a while and looks to be true to its name -- fantastic."

Paramount declined comment.

For Fox, the situation has to smack of a double dose of deja vu.

The studio already has withstood one challenge from Paramount. This year, Paramount shuffled the opening dates for its planned sequel "Mission: Impossible 3," also starring Cruise. Originally, Paramount eyed dates earlier in May for "Mission 3," first circling May 6, then considering May 13. But as the early May dates grew increasingly crowded, Paramount moved "Mission 3" to June 29, setting up the possibility of a spy vs. sci-fi showdown with "Four."

"Mission 3," though, ran into other roadblocks. When director Joe Carnahan exited the project in July, Paramount had to reassess its game plan, and ultimately moved the movie's production and release back a year in order to wait for director J.J. Abrams to come aboard.

That left Fox with a bit of clear sailing for the July Fourth weekend. The only other wide release scheduled for that frame is Buena Vista's animated film "Chicken Little" from Disney, which Fox views as family-oriented counterprogramming that would not compete directly for the sci-fi aficionados expected to flock to "Four."

With "Mission 3" temporarily sidelined, Paramount gave an urgent greenlight to the "War" remake, which is scheduled to begin production in November. Initially, the studio listed it simply as a 2005 release, but as plans have firmed up, Paramount is now aiming to go head-to-head with "Four" even though it will face a much tighter postproduction schedule than "Four" will.

The situation is a familiar one for Fox. This summer, Fox was the first to claim the July Fourth weekend, seeing it as the ideal date to launch "I, Robot" because "Robot's" star, Will Smith, has a solid history of successful July Fourth weekend openers.

But then Sony Pictures, confronting production delays on "Spider-Man 2," moved that film from an early summer May 7 bow to Wednesday, July 30. And Fox, rather than have its robots duke it out with Spidey, blinked and shifted "I, Robot" by two weeks to July 16.

"Spider-Man" took in $116 million during the four-day frame and went on to gross $371 million domestically. "I, Robot" grabbed $52.2 million over a three-day bow and went on to collect $142.4 million domestically.

Still, Fox's marketing team managed to take advantage of the situation, putting an "I, Robot" trailer in front of "Spider-Man 2" and using street teams to market the movie aggressively to the hordes of audiences lining up to catch "Spider-Man."

Whether or not either "War" or "Four" ultimately stages a strategic retreat promises to be one of the first real cliff-hangers of the 2005 summer season.

" 'Fantastic Four' is in the league of 'X-Men' and 'Spider-Man,'

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, FF in the same league as Spiderman and Xmen is laughable, who are they trying to kid when thier big stars are the Commish and the chick from Idle Hands.

I also laughed at the idea of another horrible Mission: Impossible movie in the works.

You guys are nuts in thinking FF isn't in the same league as SM and X-Men. Nuts. Their stars might not be as big (then again, who was Hugh Jackman before X-Men?) but this film and the characters are huge.

To the comic book fan, I agree that the FF is in the same league. However to the summer movie audience, it's not as recognizable to the mainstream movie goers that just go to see a good action movie and could care less about the comic ties.

Though I'll concede the point about teenagers maybe having seen the very shortlived cartoon (and thinking it was lame), but not everyone who sees action/adventure movies are teens. Granted, Spider-Man draws more of the younger crowd because of the age of its cast, but FF will pull in 20- and 30-somethingers because of Chiklis and his badass role on The Shield. It might not break $100 million in its first weekend, but it will do well for itself.

Another factor in its success will be Doom. They need to develop him as a real character and make us understand what drives him to put on the armor instead of creating a one-dimensional armor-clad foe for the team to beat on. Kind of like Vader.

Is it just me or do all the profile shots of Chiklis look like he has something sticking out more than the rest of the rocks on the side of his face. That could bug me for the entire movie.

Oh, Yoda, many thought Halle Berry looked hot as Catwoman, did that make it a good movie? Booo to Alba as Sue. (Wasn't Sue always a blonde?)

I realize Alba looking hot as Sue doesn't mean she's the best woman for the role; I just never thought they could make her look close to Sue. And though she doesn't resemble the traditional Sue, she she's not that far from the Ultimate Sue.

Oh and she is blond in that picture.

Outside of the Thing, I still think the cast is to young. It's like on Mr. Fantastic's picture, He's young, but hey we gave him some gray hair by his ears so it should be fine. And how does Jessica Alba keep getting work, oh wait, this is the new Hollywood where it doesn't mater that you can't act your way out of a paper sack, you'll always have a job if the casting agents think you look good.

• 2 weeks later...
Kerry Washington is Alicia in Fantastic Four

The lovely, talented Kerry Washington is about to get a lot of attention for her portrayal of Ray Charles' wife Della in the upcoming Taylor Hackford biopic "Ray," but a few weeks ago, Ms. Washington signed on for Tim ("Barbershop") Story's big screen adaptation of the Fantastic Four comic book. Up until now, it's been a bit of a mystery about what part she may play, but she talked to Superhero Hype! while in New York promoting "Ray" confirming that she will indeed be playing Alicia Masters.

"For those of you who are not fans, she is the blind girl that is in love with The Thing, which is really exciting for me, because it's not a character that's black," she told us. "In the comic book, historically, she's always been blonde haired and blue eyed, and the studio was really willing to go with us on this one. I'm really excited to be doing it, and I've signed on for the sequels and all that, so it's really exciting."

Audiences are sure to enjoy the romantic scenes between Ms. Washington and Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles, but the roles will be reversed when she plays the blind person in what should be some powerful scenes between her and "The Shield's" Michael Chiklis.

Fantastic Four opens next summer. "Ray" opens nationwide on October 29.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...