Call Of Duty: Black Ops

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to post a rant I wrote on another forum,

I will not be buying or renting this. While I have a soft spot for CoD3, Treyarch has lost all respect for me as a game developer. After all we were promised with WaW we ended up with a CoD4 clone that had lower grade graphics (console), a weapon system that was completely unbalanced, and a childish disrespectful portrayal of WWII that has damaged children's perception of what that war really was and who those soldiers really were.

Treyarch as really turned into a gimmick developer for me, first with "CoD4:WaW" and now this just seems like they have no idea what to do, so the reflex is "rip-off, steal, replicate!". I have no hope for this game or the rest of the Call of Duty series as it stands.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I suck of FPS games, but all my friends play this, so I bought it to get better for our game days. Can someone give me some tips on being a better player for these types of games? I've figured out all guns blazing is not the approach for these games. But my mind just can't figure out the right guns for the right moments, etc. And my aim is just retarded. If I could refine my aim I'd go a long way to improving things!

It just takes practice. In general, you need to be very smart. Try to pay attention to why you died each time, and make sure you never do that again.

In games like CoD (where split-second speed and accuracy are vital), you need to be extremely careful.

It's a safe bet that if an enemy knows where you are, they're already gunning for you and you'll probably die in the next few seconds. Always keep your head low; NEVER go out in the open or reveal yourself to an enemy unless absolutely necessary. The easiest way to win is to outsmart and outmaneuver your opponents. Often times, sitting in a safe place and waiting for enemies to pass in front of you is a good strategy. Try finding a nook in a hallway that no one notices. If you can get behind someone, by the time they notice you they'll be riddled with bullets.

If you're in a map with not a lot of room, try using a submachine gun with a high rate of fire. Preferably something that will be decently accurate at close range without needing to look down the sights. Since 90% of all the guns in CoD are useless unless you're looking down the sights, that extra split-second that an enemy will have to take in order to look down their sights (while you're already unloading your SMG clip) will be critical.

I chose not to take that as an insult :) I think it's just practice more than anything. Playing for a few hours non stop I noticed my aim getting slightly better.

Good tip on the submachine gun, thanks. I've notice the campaign skills are quite different from DM, at least for noob anyway. Oh how I long for another Space Quest or Kings Quest :)