Episode 132

RSS

It's 1941 and war is ripping Europe and families apart, but Christmas must go on. To that end, The Doctor takes a family on an adventure to a winter wonderland ("The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe"). Also, Albert Einstein is turned into an Ood ("Death is the Only Answer"), and a Weeping Angel wants to destroy the Olympics ("Good as Gold"). [ 1:00:20 || 29.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_132.mp3

Wow, I thought this one was going to get ripped to shreds by both you guys. I haven't seen it since broadcast, but I mainly remember it being a quite light on plot and brimming over with schmaltz. Definitely Smith's weakest Christmas special, though there are good bits scattered throughout. I also like Rory's line "So you're not dead then?"

I kinda stand by what I said; as an episode, this was lightweight to the point of intangibility and not terribly good. However, it went so deep into Christmas territory that it essentially became the "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" of Doctor Who episiodes. If the next one actually features the Doctor rescuing Santa Claus from the Ice Warriors, it might be more Christmassy, but I doubt it.

Christmas specials up to this point have been pretty bad, largely because of the "Oh, it doesn't matter because it's Christmas and everyone watching is fighting off turkey coma", so we have Santa robots shooting people with tubas or some shit in an otherwise straightforward episode. But because this one just went for it to a degree that no other special ever has, I can judge it differently. Your mileage may vary.