Stephen King to write for Marvel

Missy

What book should King write?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Comic-Con 2005: Stephen King goes to Marvel

Horror writer to pen comics for the House of Ideas.

by Hilary Goldstein

July 16, 2005 - Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada closed out his Cup O' Joe panel with a stunning announcement. Joe said that last year he was asked if he could have any writer from comics or outside of comics, who would he pick. The answer is now a reality. The final image of Marvel's panel was the word "King" with a crown.

Several attendees remember Quesada mentioning the King of Horror at a panel a year back. While not 100%, it appears that Stephen King will be writing for Marvel comics. The project and timeline is completely unknown. All we do know is that King will become part of the Marvel family. Our pick -- Man-Thing, but there's no way we'll be right on that one.

Having just finished 'Essential Dracula', I'm itching for him to do something in the horror genre. Marvel could really do with something along those lines. Or it would also be sweet to see a continuing comic using Roland from The Dark Tower.

For those who aren't aware, King is a long time comic book fan. He waxes hugely nostalgic in 'Danse Macabre' on the old EC movies, and Creepshow is, of course, a homage to them. He's also made references in the past that definitely show a working knowledge of X-Men, and Spiderman. Whether or not that's up to date, I don't know.

Oh, and he wrote the special introduction for Batman 400, and for one of the Sandman books (IIRC).

I've added a poll to this to see what comic y'all think King should write.

Naturally most are going to want him to write one of Marvel's older horror comic, but I really think he should pen The Hulk. I mean, he's a big scary green beast of a man and King could do wonders for the character. So yeah, Hulk (or "non-horror comic") gets my vote.

<---- 3000 :OMG:

I do not know that The Hulk is what I would want him to do, but a non-horror comic would be pretty good in my view.

I really think he would shine doing something with Doctor Doom for example. Doom has the ability to gain additional powers and abilities as needed for the plot, and that gives King the freedom to create situations which he really shines in and not be locked into character capability. The comic would likely have a dark feel to it, and if it didn't I think I might be a bit dissapointed. But I could definatly see a Doom related storyline, I mean Doom could almost have walked out of a Stephen King novel as he is, master of mystic arts, has been to hell and back literally, disfigured face, wears a creepy looking mask, nigh undefeatable, and always has one extra trick up his sleeve. King would feel right at home with Doom.

Who Doom might be beating on is another story.... Maybe Doom could try to control the Hulk or some such contrivance.

I voted New Horror though I was torn whether I considered my hope to be new horror or non-horror.

The Hulk was one of the characters that actually came to mind for me. I'd love to see him do a dark horror twist on a non-horror character. Not strictly making it horror book but I felt New Horror better suited my feelings than Non-Horror since Non could include a much wider variety of things.

Hulk, as I said, jumped to mind. As did Moon Knight, Captain America, and Iron Fist.

Mainly, I do not want an action comic from him.

Moon Knight was my second choice, but another novelist, Charlie Huston, will be penning a new MK series starting February 2006; so that's out of the question. Technically so is Ghost Rider, because Garth Ennis has a three-issue series in the works.

I love me my Moon Knight. I'm eagerly await Trade form of Ultimate Moon Knight now too. I had not heard about the project coming up with him. Do you know if it is going to be ongoing, seasonal (marvel has been doing this with a couple books lately, shehulk, runaways, ultimates), or mini

• 3 months later...
King to Bring Dark Tower to Marvel?

The latest rumor and a promised date for a full revelation.

by Hilary Goldstein

October 26, 2005 - According to Publishing News Online, Stephen King is working with Jae Lee on a graphic novel for Marvel Comics. The report claims the series would serve as an extension of King's "Dark Tower" novel. At this summer's San Diego Comic-Con, Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada left fans buzzing when he stated the House of Ideas had nabbed a high-profile writer. He would not confirm who that writer was, offering only the word 'King' as a teaser.

Speculation has included Stephen King, Stephen Hawking (seriously), J.K. Rowling, Alan Moore and in one online article, the channeled essence of the late Jack "King" Kirby.

This latest report strikes us as bogus, however. King has said for not just years, but decades, that his series was going to be seven full books. It's hard to imagine he's been secretly holding back an extra tale. However, some sort of spin-off or precursor tale could be a possibility.

When asked to comment on the report, a Marvel spokesman said, "Marvel will be releasing the correct info of what 'King' is on Friday."

For those eager to read between the lines, you may want to note that "King" was referred to as a "what" and not a "who."

We'll know the full deal in just a few days, so sit tight.

From Marvel.com:

STEPHEN KING BREAKS NEW GROUND AT MARVEL WITH ORIGINAL COMIC SERIES BASED ON HIS EPIC THE DARK TOWER

New Comic Series Exploring the Origin of the Notorious Gunslinger Character Marks First Time Stephen King Has Produced Original Content for the Comic Book Format.

Marvel Comics to Launch First Issue in April 2006.

NEW YORK – World Fantasy Award-winning writer Stephen King, long acknowledged as the master of modern horror, and Marvel Comics join forces this spring to launch a ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from King's magnum opus, The Dark Tower.

The comic series will mark the first time Stephen King has produced original content for an ongoing comic book project. The series will expand the saga of King’s epic hero, Roland Deschain, whose quest to save the Dark Tower is captured in seven best-selling novels published over the course of twenty-five years. King’s unparalleled storytelling power will inform new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland, revealing the trials and conflicts that lead to the burden of destiny he must assume as a man, the last Gunslinger from a world that has moved on. The comics will work in conjunction with the novels, further supplementing and defining the saga’s mythology under the direction of the acclaimed author himself.

"As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who’s seen comics "come of age" and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction, I’m excited to be a part of Roland's new incarnation," said Stephen King.

The series will be illustrated by Eisner-award winning artist Jae Lee.

King continued, "I love Jae Lee's work, and I think this is going to be a dynamite partnership. Frankly, I can’t wait."

The first issue is scheduled to debut in April, 2006 with a hard cover collection of the first 6 issues released Holiday, 2006. Fans will start seeing promotional items – which feature more info in the series – beginning this December. Watch for more info as it becomes available at www.marvel.com/king