Episode 726

RSS

I went into this episode shield and sword drawn considering how much I disagreed with Ian two years ago. I found myself agreeing with pretty much everything he said about ASM2 though! The sentiment that the Webb films do the weakest parts of the Raimi films best, but are vice-versa on the best parts of the previous trilogy was pretty insightful. I still think people can be a bit rough on how Garfield portrays Peter Parker, but the line about him spying on Gwen in this movie did nothing to help my position. I still prefer that to Tobey Maguire's Milhouse-esque portrayal, but that's neither here nor there.

I went into this episode shield and sword drawn considering how much I disagreed with Ian two years ago. I found myself agreeing with pretty much everything he said about ASM2 though! The sentiment that the Webb films do the weakest parts of the Raimi films best, but are vice-versa on the best parts of the previous trilogy was pretty insightful. I still think people can be a bit rough on how Garfield portrays Peter Parker, but the line about him spying on Gwen in this movie did nothing to help my position. I still prefer that to Tobey Maguire's Milhouse-esque portrayal, but that's neither here nor there.

If my reviews are becoming insightful and relevant, I need to look into how this mutation occurred!

I think that were I introducing a child of mine to Spider-Man via films, I'd look to the first two Raimi films and ASM2. Because Spidey 3 will not entice kids through the grinding negativity, and ASM doesn't do the origin story better than Raimi did. That and the fucking Lizard..... But ASM2 does showcase a fun Spidey, a backstory and the element of tragedy re: Gwen. And in that I've just re-watched Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, I'm reminded about how much I appreciate Maguire as an actor (admittedly, his was a minor presence in that film).