The Long Halloween vs. Identity Crisis

Fat DJ

As the thread description states, spoilers ahead, so if you haven't read either (and you really should) stop reading now. I'm just going to keep typing like this so it looks like a whole paragraph, and then the next paragraph is going to be spoileriffic. But a paragraph is more than 2 or 3 lines, so I'd better type just a little bit more. Anyway, last chance to get off the train to spoilerville is now, just press alt and left at the same time, it's that easy.

So, I noticed a fair amount of parallels between the two (I'm not saying that Crisis is a ripoff of Halloween) but there are certainly striking similarities between the two. Like the fact that the killer is the wife of one of the main players in the story, and that there are several false murderers, or red herrings, I guess.

Identity Crisis is more complex, with Dr. Light and everything (and very cool, especially at the end where Batman is trying to find out what he was made to forget) but the Long Halloween is more plausible, and maybe even a little "darker". Crisis seems to come off as more of a mystery comic, whereas Halloween comes off as more of a dark mystery, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, did anyone else notice this?

Personally, I prefer IC because it seems to have a bigger impact. It's more of an event than LH and it seems as though you are reading something that is truly going to shape the DCU for years to come. Granted, it's been over a year since I read LH, so I could simply be mistaken, but that is how it feels to me.

IC is definately a bigger event than LH was. Which is in part why I like LH better. It was a self contained story that existed in the world, more plausible, as was stated. Contrary to that, IC felt to me that it was kind of forced onto the world for the sake of "impact" and big change. mistakes were made and acts were done that I don't know if I believe that these people were have done, characterwise. Yes lots a parallels but I don't really consider it a rip off either.