On Monday Night Raw we see the rematch of one of the best matches of 1996 as Shawn Michaels makes his in-ring return to Raw (for the second time in three months) against Mankind! Bret Hart makes his heroic return home as champion, and in a match that somehow is far more notable than it should ever have any right to, Faarooq takes on Chainz. [ 2:22:42 || 67.3 MB ]

Granted, we're 20 years out and my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I always thought that the basis for the HBK/Taker feud was really weak.

HBK tried to help Taker, and failed. I can see where you would be irritated, but seeking "revenge" for someone trying to help you?

Really?

13 hours ago, S-T said:

Granted, we're 20 years out and my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I always thought that the basis for the HBK/Taker feud was really weak.

HBK tried to help Taker, and failed. I can see where you would be irritated, but seeking "revenge" for someone trying to help you?

Really?

It did help that Shawn made a turn to be a kayfabe heel of his IRL persona!

23 hours ago, S-T said:

It's pretty amazing looking back, how he transformed from "milquetoast babyface commentator" to the Mr. McMahon character.

Didn't Bischoff do the "evil authority figure" first?

Yup.  In the lead up to Hogan-Piper at Starrcade ‘96 Bischoff was revealed to be in the nWo.

Also either that same night as the MSG Raw, or the week before, footage of Nash powerbombing him off the GAB stage in 1996 was shown in a “SEE!  I TOOK THE MASSIVE BUMP FIRST” way in advance of Vince taking his first Stunner at the MSG Raw.

Too bad for the podcast “Mr. McMahon” doesn’t become a true character until after Austin wins the title.  Between Montreal and then he’s more or less building what the character will be with here and there appearances (stripping Austin of the IC belt, the “Bret screwed Bret” interview, Tyson announcement).