SPOILERS: Elsewords

Donomark

This is Mike speaking
Sorry for this Donovan, but I need to invade your post here.

I wanted to separate the Elseworlds posts into their own thread, with a single spoiler warning in the title. This way we don't have to use the spoiler tags to talk about the three-part crossover. That said, I will leave Donovan's original spoiler tag in because hovering over a topic headline shows a preview.

So, anyway, enjoy talking about Elsewords without the need for future spoiler tags.

If you like this format, let me know and we'll try it again in the future.

Back to Donovan.

That was, I think, the most fun hour of any DC CW show I've ever seen. It was fast paced and full of humor that really worked. Gustin and Amell were having a blast, and...

Spoiler

Never in my life did I ever expect to get a well of heartfelt nostalgia at the use of the Remy Zero Smallville theme.

Edited by The Master

Tonight was good though it's also obvious that it was partially there to be a full-on backdoor pilot for a Batwoman pilot. That said, she made a good first impression. I am definitely looking forward to a World's Finest crossover with Supergirl and the show if it gets picked up.

Though it's not part of the crossover, I liked the joke about it on tonight's Legends of Tomorrow.

1 hour ago, dc20willsave said:

Tonight was good though it's also obvious that it was partially there to be a full-on backdoor pilot for a Batwoman pilot.

I can't imagine that Arrow's going to be around too much longer; I assume the CW needs another "I can't believe its not Batman" show in the pipeline.

This was okay. The Batwoman stuff was fun, the costume was amazing, and she and Supergirl played well together. Overall, though, I'm not invested in the Arrow characters, so it didn't land as well as it might for fans of the show.

Question: When they were hit with the fear toxin, why did Ollie see Thawne and Barry see Merlyn? They haven't lived the opposite lives; they've been body-swapped. So Ollie's fears shouldn't be Barry's and vice versa.

Also, @Donomark noticed something super cool! But I won't spoil his revelation.

This turned out to be a fun three-episode romp that wasn't as deep as last year's crossover, but I still really really enjoyed it. Whoever writes fro Superman on the Supergirl series needs to be put in charge of any future Superman show, because I feel he's consistently nailed without fail in every scene, although the Arrowverse strains to have Supergirl be put over him just to keep things in check. Shipp's appearance as Flash ended up being purely fanservice with hardly any explanation, but the cocktease of them having the balls to attempt Crisis on Infinite Earths next year keep me coming back. 

15 hours ago, The Master said:

Also, @Donomark noticed something super cool! But I won't spoil his revelation.

Did anyone get the GL reference in part 2?

It was a fun crossover. Of the three crossovers, I'd put it in the middle. Still fun but everything still felt like it could have used an extra half of an episode.

Going for Crisis next year feels pretty ballsy but I'm there for it. Assuming Batwoman gets picked up and Green Arrow doesn't end this season, I can see five nights for the crossover.

The Supergirl episode was easily the best of the three, and did a tidy job of wrapping things up -- which, as noted above, I was worried about.

Kara's speech to Alex was the emotional highlight, just beating out Ollie's to The Monitor. Tyler Hoechlin played a brilliant evil Superman, and his normal Superman is absolutely perfect. Was this crossover the first appearance of Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane? She totally gets that character.

Ollie is definitely going to take Barry and Kara's place as the big deaths in COIE next year.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:04 PM, Dan said:

I can't imagine that Arrow's going to be around too much longer; I assume the CW needs another "I can't believe its not Batman" show in the pipeline.

LOL facts. 

I actually thought the first part was the best, and while none of the succeeding parts were bad the Supergirl one was the most shmaltzy IMO. But Amell and Gustin made a terrific double-act, with the two of them selling every comedic moment thrown to them. And while this might not have ended up as proficient as Crisis on Earth X, I think this is my favorite just on the enjoyment factor alone.