Adult-themed comics found at library

Missy

Adult-Themed Comics At Library Shock Parents

Parents of a girl in Orange County, Fla., were shocked to discover that a comic book featuring adult-themed topics, like swinging and drugged and raped girls, was checked out by the 11-year-old at a library, according to a Local 6 News report.

The controversial Japanese comic book is part of a series that can be found in the young adult collection at the Orange County Library's Southeast Branch.

Local 6 News reported that the comic titled "Peach Girl" is about a young girl drugged by her friends and then set up to be raped.

"As I was going through it, I said, 'Oh my God, do parents know what their kids are reading?'" mother Raynelle White said.

One of the comics found by Problem Solver Nancy Alvarez featured parents who swap spouses.

"That's swinging and this is a girl no older than my daughter," parent Travis White said.

"Sex, drugs and violence are the themes in this series published by TokyoPop," Alvarez said.

White believes no one looked past the cover of the comic and it is time that things changed at the library.

"I don't want to see it; I don't want her seeing it," Travis White said. "The whole time, I'm like, 'I can't believe we're seeing these things.'"

A spokeswoman for Orange County Libraries would not speak on camera but admitted there is not a screening process in place for books bound for the children's or young adult sections, Alvarez said.

The same comics are also available at the main branch in downtown Orlando.

A spokeswoman said it would be impossible to review all of the books the library receives at its locations. However, if it receives complaints, it will do its own review.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

[source]

OK, for starters, I have watched the first half of the anime of this series, and while it may not be appropriate for 11-year olds to some people. I don't think it's that bad, it's no worse than stuff you'd see on The O.C. While it may be a parents decision I think the media blew this WAY out of proportion. The thing I'm most pissed off about now is that this incredibly good series is going to be labeled as some hentai crap WHEN IT IS ANYTHING BUT.

Drugging? Ok, I'll give that one, Sae (the evil bitch) drugs Momo (the main character) to put her into a compromising position (you really need to see the show to understand it.)

The set-up rape? Used by Okayasu (Momo's friend) as a scare tactic to keep Sae away from Momo. It is clearly explained that IT WAS ONLY A SCARE TACTIC AND THAT NOTHING ELSE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN.

Violence? Nothing more than a fistfight.

Sorry I'm freaking pissed off now. After the slightest of looking I find out the swinging is from Marmelade Boy (GET YOUR DAMN FACTS STRAIGHT) I haven'te seen MB but hear it is also very good. The manga is rated 13+ (so technically she shouldn't have had it.

In my rage I challenge each and every one of you to download a fansub of this show and tell me this is offensive. I can understand parents not wanting their 11-year old to read it, but Damnit, like I said, it's a very good series that's going to have its good name dragged through the mud, fuck you parents, for taking this public. Good parenting, but there was no reason needed to take this public.

I'd be willing to bet that over 60% of manga titles should not be in the young adult (which I would guess for all intents and purposes of this story would be 10-12 years old) section of anywhere. Most of them are rated 13+ or older because that's the biggest American demographic for manga.

But Kellen is right. Peach Girl isn't appropriate for 11-year-olds (obviously), but it is nowhere near as bad as what they are making it out to be and it never should have gotten this far.

OK, for starters, I have watched the first half of the anime of this series,

They're talking about the manga, and you're talking about the anime. Now I've never watched or read either, so I have to wonder if alterations were made when the book was adapted. While I understand your frustration, you're talking about the cartoon while the complaint is about the library having placed the book in the YA section.

and while it may not be appropriate for 11-year olds to some people. I don't think it's that bad, it's no worse than stuff you'd see on The O.C.

Which kids shouldn't be watching anyways.

While it may be a parents decision I think the media blew this WAY out of proportion.

One news story -- ONE -- is not blowing "this WAY out of proportion."

The thing I'm most pissed off about now is that this incredibly good series is going to be labeled as some hentai crap WHEN IT IS ANYTHING BUT.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most people (those who have a vague knowledge of manga / anime, that is) think it is all hentai, crap or both. So nothing has been tarnished.

Drugging? Ok, I'll give that one, Sae (the evil bitch) drugs Momo (the main character) to put her into a compromising position (you really need to see the show to understand it.)

Sorry I'm freaking pissed off now. After the slightest of looking I find out the swinging is from Marmelade Boy (GET YOUR DAMN FACTS STRAIGHT) I haven'te seen MB but hear it is also very good. The manga is rated 13+ (so technically she shouldn't have had it.

Again: anime versus manga. What changes were made?

The set-up rape? Used by Okayasu (Momo's friend) as a scare tactic to keep Sae away from Momo. It is clearly explained that IT WAS ONLY A SCARE TACTIC AND THAT NOTHING ELSE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN.

So what? The point is that an 11-year-old girl was able to get her hands on a book rated 13+. You're defending the product, and I understand why, but no one is attacking it. They're more pissed at the library for not screening what is placed in the YA section.

In my rage I challenge each and every one of you to download a fansub of this show and tell me this is offensive. I can understand parents not wanting their 11-year old to read it, but Damnit, like I said, it's a very good series that's going to have its good name dragged through the mud, fuck you parents, for taking this public. Good parenting, but there was no reason needed to take this public.

Yes, there was. This mother, who I greatly applaud for being active in her child's life, is now making sure other parents are aware of the situation.

Did they get their facts wrong (and / or bend some)? Sure, I have no doubt. But that isn't the point. This isn't an attack on the manga / anime; it's an attack on the library and the perception that all comic books are for children. That's all.

The thing I'm most pissed off about now is that this incredibly good series is going to be labeled as some hentai crap WHEN IT IS ANYTHING BUT.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most people (those who have a vague knowledge of manga / anime, that is) think it is all hentai, crap or both. So nothing has been tarnished.

That isn't true. I'd wager that most people don't even know hentai exists, and if they do, they think it was some weird cult thing.

I was in Suncoast this week shopping for my sister's Christmas present when a mom came in looking to get some anime for her son. The guy at the store helping her basically gave her a primer on anime, then tried to explain hentai. The woman got kind of freaked out, and it was the most hilarious thing I've heard all week.

OK, after letting my head cool down a little bit, I still say this, while the product itself may not be under attack this article (for whatever reason, not pointing fingers) to me, paints it in a bad light.

For the manga to anime translation, after a little searching (namely looking around animenewsnnetowrk.com) I admit that while the story appears to be the same, the artstyle does look quite a bit more provocitive. So a concede(sp?) on that point.

The OC point I still stand by if someone lets them watch OC but then turns around and hates on Peach Girl, then they're not paying close enough attention. I don't know the family, so I can't comment on that situation. But I will say that this report makes Peach Girl sound worse than The OC. Once again this is going on the anime, I know there could be a difference.

The way out of proportion bit I still stand by. While it may be one report just the way it's written, while it does involve some valid points, blows the "bad acts" out of proportion, it sounds much worse than it is.

The hentai label argument you backed off a bit on so I don't think I need to further explain there.

Once again I will say that the parents putting guidelines on what their daughter reads is a good thing, and thinking about it, think it's a good thing that they brought it up.

The one thing that really, REALLY gets me is that Peach Girl, a very good series is brought up in a very negative light with one side of the series being shown but not the great love story and the great character development, yada yada yada. Once again I know there could be a big difference from anime to manga but most will view it as the same.

Once I finally get through the show with the WAC, I'm going to do a review so I can (at least to this website) show the side that isn't shown.