PS2 outselling XBox 360

S-T

Very interesting

Xbox 360 Sales Lag Behind PS2

By Ed Oswald, BetaNews

June 13, 2006, 11:17 AM

While nearly five years old, the PlayStation 2 continues to be a considerable force at retail in the United States, even outselling the Xbox 360, data from the NPD Group indicates. Only in one month since Microsoft launched its next generation console, April, has the company been able to best the venerable game system.

In May, the PS2 sold approximately 232,000 units to the Xbox 360's 221,000. In April, the roles were reversed, with the Xbox 360 outpacing the PS2 by about 90,000 consoles with an estimated 295,381 consoles sold.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Xbox_360_S..._PS2/1150211868

Thoughts?

Obviously, the PS2 has a lower price than the 360 and far vaster library, however, this still doesn't bode well for Microsoft. I've read news reports that put the sell of PS2's 2:1 compared to the sells of 360's. This is in XBox's strongest territory (US), I wonder if the gap is even wider in Asia and Europe?

As cv pointed out, it's mostly due to the price difference. But you also have to consider the libraries: while the original Xbox has a decent amount of titles (most of which can be played on the 360), it's nothing compared to the combined might of the PSOne and PS2 catalog.

If I'm low on cash but in the market for a new system, which am I going to buy: the pricey next-gen piece of hardware with a smattering of games, or the drastically less expensive (though older) machine which has literally thousands of games (most of which are less than $20) to choose from?

It's a no-brainer.

The real test for Microsoft will come this November; will it be able to outsell the PS3?

Very interesting

Xbox 360 Sales Lag Behind PS2

By Ed Oswald, BetaNews

June 13, 2006, 11:17 AM

While nearly five years old, the PlayStation 2 continues to be a considerable force at retail in the United States, even outselling the Xbox 360, data from the NPD Group indicates. Only in one month since Microsoft launched its next generation console, April, has the company been able to best the venerable game system.

In May, the PS2 sold approximately 232,000 units to the Xbox 360's 221,000. In April, the roles were reversed, with the Xbox 360 outpacing the PS2 by about 90,000 consoles with an estimated 295,381 consoles sold.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Xbox_360_S..._PS2/1150211868

Thoughts?

Here's a better question though: What are the numbers of original XBOX's being sold? I own a PS2 and neither Microsoft system but I would be intrigued to see what those numbers are.

My guess is, much like some others, that this is more about the price of the system than anything else. It will be interesting to see if the PS2 will outsell the PS3 due to the price difference of close to $500.

Didn't the PSone outsell the PS2 for the first year or so of the product's lifetime? I could be completely on crack here, but I thought I remembered something along those lines.

I remember reading something along those lines about the redesigned PSone still selling well into the PS2's life.