PS1/PS2 compatibility issues

S-T

I purchased Final Fantasy Chronicles, and have been playing Chrono Trigger for several days. It is as fun now as it was 11 years ago on the S-NES. The problem came when I put Final Fantasy IV in my PS2. I get an error message that says "please insert a PS1 or PS2 compatible disc."

Needless to say, I was dissapointed, because I never was able to get FF IV (FF II) for the S-NES.

Help? Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to call Square on Monday to see if there is anything they can do.

It must be your PS2 because officially these are the only PS1 games that don't work on the PS2.

Arcade Party Pak

Atari Arcade Greatest Hits

Fighter Maker

Final Fantasy Anthology

International Track and Field

Judge Dredd

Monkey Hero

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Tomba

I know you aren't planning on running out and buying Judge Dredd, but watch out for FF Anthology and MK Trilogy.

Actually, MK Trilogy and Anthology both work on the PS2, as does Tomba, and I have a first generaton system.

But yeah, if it's not reading the discs, it may be time to get a new system. Sony hardware sadly tends to be a bit on the cheap side.

How old is your PS2? After extended use, the PS2 lens will start to have trouble playing PS1 games and early year GD-Rom (blue back) PS2 games.

I got my PS2 in January 2005.

Is there any way to fix the problem without buying a new system? I'm going to be very unhappy if I have to buy a new system, since I recently purchased both Chono Cross and FF Chronicles!

Just off the top of my head, could this be a region issue?

If it was, then neither of the games would've worked, instead of just one of them.

They're both on the same disc? Fair enough.

Different discs, sold together as a compilation, so they might as well be.

First things first, check the disc on a friends machine. If it isn't working on either, than it's probably the disc itself, which will help your argument with Square. If it's working fine on the other machine, it's probably your machine - how long have you had it? May be worth giving Sony a ring, because I know in the UK you can usually get a cheaper console out of it (reconditioned, but the horror stories about reconditioned PS's is overstated - I used to work for Sony Playstation Tech Support, and we shared a building with the factory).

I was checking about the disc, DW, because while they're sold together, that doesn't mean that mistakes at the factory can't happen.

First things first, check the disc on a friends machine. If it isn't working on either, than it's probably the disc itself, which will help your argument with Square.

For whatever reason, it is working fine now. I had trouble with the "FFIV" disc for about a day and a half, and then it suddenly started working.

Strange.