Episode 99

RSS

Episode 100 is almost here! In case you've missed our previous announcements, another is made concerning 100 and 101! Beyond that, Mike has a rather long rant about "pompous bums," followed by Ian's thoughts on Spider-Man 3. [ 1:17:01 || 35.2 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_099.mp3

Loved the advice for future homeless listeners! Hysterical.

7/10? Whoa!

This one sits below Daredevil for me and only slightly higher than the Captain America movies. Good only for its "so bad it's good" value. Pretty visually but that is all it had to offer me.

I really saw this as Raimi saying "fuck you" and showing why he is one of the world's most overrated directors. But I've talked about this at length...so I'll leave it at that.

7/10? Whoa!

Actually, I think you'll find I rated it 7.5!!! :P

As I said at the start, I'll be expanding upon my ratings system in the near future (in written form). As for the highness in general...put it down to my British politeness! (Damn, I need to play down the nationality card sooner or later).

This one sits below Daredevil for me

Ouch!

and only slightly higher than the Captain America movies. Good only for its "so bad it's good" value. Pretty visually but that is all it had to offer me.

Good effects, yes. Add in some nice references, some good performancs (more from the supporting cast than the main characters, but the point still stands) and some nice action sequences. I stand by the review's positives, whilst I admit that this was the worst of the trilogy. They simply tried to do too much.

I really saw this as Raimi saying "fuck you" and showing why he is one of the world's most overrated directors. But I've talked about this at length...so I'll leave it at that.

I've read your thoughts on this film and I guess we'll agree to disagree on that matter. I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the other two Spidey films though - the Raimi dislike is an interesting take on how the franchise has been handled. Can't say I've seen too much of his other work, but before #3, I thought his handling was pretty much superb (other than the 'everyone finds out Spidey's Peter/all the villains "die"' point I mentioned).

Spider-Man 3 troubled me quite a bit. It was a movie I liked, but didn't love, which was majorly disappointing. Critics are calling all "Threequels" as being disappointing content-wise and I'm inclined to agree (X-Men 3). The thing is, I like Raimi's style too much with these films to declare it worse than Ghost Rider or Daredevil (again, ouch!). Again, I'll try and explain myself fully when I pen my debut column (should be ready within a couple of weeks) but being unable to find any enjoyment out of this film is something I just cannot understand.

Yeah, I don't know. I watch a lot of shitty movies (I'm a horror fan!) and do my best to find their good qualities. There's always some good (as I mentioned about SM3) but I've only walked out of a film in the theatre once and that was Deep Impact. I did so because my intelligence had never been so ridiculously insulted at the 30 minute mark. SM3 was close.

I felt like I'd been slapped in the face. And I only paid $6.50! If I paid full theatre price I would have already mailed Raimi a stool sample.

I think I enjoyed the first two films on a visual and script basis. Raimi has never been in my list of favourites, in fact he's quite low. Only Peter Jackson is lower. But the first two were vibrant and had stunning effects (neither of which had much to do with Raimi) and had great stories. They were Spiderman stories. 3 was a "Mask" movie dressed up as Spider-man.

Script-wise, the only thing better about the third was the limiting of Aunt May. Thank God for that.

I won't be going to see 4 if Raimi's involved. Maybe I'll catch it on cable.

• 2 years later...

I really love this review of SM3 because I agree with it wholeheartedly. Was it dissapointing? Yeah. But it wasn't bad. To me it seemed as though people love to just overexagerrate and say things sucked because its easy, but Ian did a gfood job of highlighting the positives as well as the negatives.

There are a handful of comic book movies worse than this.