The Fall of Geneon USA

Kscriv

From ANN:

The onetime anime distribution company Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc. has notified its retail customers that it will cease "the sales of DVDs and all related distribution and marketing operations as of 5 p.m. on Friday, September 28, 2007." The deadline for ordering all Geneon USA products is that time and date, and only orders for "catalog products in inventory or new releases with a street date" of November 6 or earlier will be accepted. Any outstanding retail orders will ship as soon as stock is available. No more returns will be accepted after 5:00 p.m. on November 30, and new orders after September 21 cannot be returned at all. The letter to retailers also says that "payables to Geneon remain unchanged."

The letter does not address the issue of the future availability of titles, nor does it discuss Geneon USA's future production plans.

The Geneon USA letter to retailer cites the termination of the proposed sales and distribution alliance with A.D. Vision, Inc. as the reason for the changes. Geneon USA had laid off much of its own sales and marketing teams earlier this month. Geneon USA's parent company, the Japanese advertising firm Dentsu Inc., said that "from October 1, 2007, Geneon USA will focus mainly on management of its works portfolio."

In short the status of every franchise Geneon is releasing currently (including When they Cry & the Hellsing Ultimate OVA series) is up in the air right now. There wil be a lot of good stuff going right down the tube.

The big stuff should survive, and anything worthwhile that slips through the cracks will be picked up by the fansub community, don't be too worried.

I really hope that it changes the way anime is distributed in the US because it's still too expensive (although the recent DBZ "Season" releases are reasonably priced, although that's a Geneon product so....I don't know).

The big stuff should survive, and anything worthwhile that slips through the cracks will be picked up by the fansub community, don't be too worried.

I really hope that it changes the way anime is distributed in the US because it's still too expensive (although the recent DBZ "Season" releases are reasonably priced, although that's a Geneon product so....I don't know).

The new DBZ "season" sets are FUNimation products.

In any case, I'm glad you're optimistic (I really mean that), but this still doesn't explain how long we will now have to wait for new volumes of some of the most popular animes in North America--i.e., Hellsing Ultimate.

I'm sorry but I have a slightly hypocritical reply that I have to say to that.

People with that attitude is one of the largest reasons why a company like Geneon can go out of business. People that will watch an anime series via fansubs and then not support it. Now I can understand to an extent not buying everything out there (hell, some shows are crap) but if you find a show you love via fansubs, it is licenced and you do NOT buy the DVD's you are doing a grave disservice to the anime industry on the whole. Whether or not you like the English dub, the Japanese version is still there to watch in its entirety and most importantly it gives the money to the R1 company's that allow anime to be better exposed and enjoyed in North America. Hell, there's a lot of anime that requires funding from the R1 companies to be made (Kaleido Star for example). Now I wont lie and say I don't download fansubs, but at least the shows that I like I eventually buy with earnest (hell I'm waiting with baited breath fror Ouran to finally come out)

Rant over.