The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

JackFetch

They have announced the third movie in the Narnia series.

Hopes are highest for "Prince Caspian," which will cost at least $100 million. Granat promises that the battle-filled sequel is easily distinguishable from its predecessor and the third pic on the sked, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader."

Producers had announced at Comic-Con in July that auds could expect one "Narnia" installment each May for the next few years. Granat is committing publicly to only four or five, saying that "Silver Chair" might be the best bet for the fourth, followed by "Magician's Nephew," but he admits that there are a multitude of possibilities.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=38135

I've got to admit, that's pretty ambitious to release one a year. They tried that with the Harry Potter movies and failed.

• 6 months later...
Earlier today at the New York Comic-Con, ComingSoon.net talked with Mark Johnson, the producer of Disney's The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, and he told us that director Michael Apted is currently scouting locations in New Zealand for the upcoming 3-quel The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader with plans to start shooting in October.

They won't necessarily be returning to Andrew Adamson's home country for the third movie though as Johnson told us that they'd be shooting two-thirds of the movie in Rosarito, Mexico at a huge water tank where James Cameron shot Titanic and where they shot "Master and Commander." They say that the rest of the production could be in any number of difference places, which they'll figure out once they've finished scouting locations.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is out on May 16, and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is currently scheduled for release on May 7, 2010. Look for a lot more with Johnson and the cast of "Prince Caspian" in the next few weeks.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/nycomicconnews.php?id=44247

• 8 months later...
Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media have confirmed that for budgetary and logistical reasons the Burbank-based studio is not exercising its option to co-produce and co-finance The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader with Walden.

The Hollywood Reporter says the third installment was in preproduction and set for a spring shoot for a planned May 2010 release. The development puts the participation of the talent attached in doubt, adds the trade. Michael Apted was on board to direct a script by Steven Knight. The key players of the second installment, "Prince Caspian" -- Ben Barnes, Georgie Henley, William Moseley and Anna Popplewell -- were to return for the third film.

Walden has a strong relationship with the C.S. Lewis estate and will shop "Treader" in hopes of finding a new partner. The most likely candidate at this stage is Fox, which markets and distributes Walden fare under the Fox Walden banner.

Any partnership on a "Narnia" movie will require a substantial investment, however. "Caspian," which filmed in the Czech Republic, Mexico and New Zealand, cost $200 million. The first film, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," was shot mostly in New Zealand for $180 million.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51523

This will pretty much kill the movie. What I don't understand is why Anna Popplewell was going to be in it. Her character isn't in that book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Variety and The L.A. Times are reporting that 20th Century Fox has picked up the option to co-finance Walden Media's The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader just a month after Disney decided to pass on helping to finance the third film in the series. Budgeting and script issues are being worked out although there's hope that the film will start shooting at the end of summer for a planned holiday 2010 release through the Fox Walden label.

Fox and Walden will split the production and P&A costs for "Dawn Treader," which is projected to have a $140 million budget, down from the $215 million spent on last year's The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. "Caspian" grossed $419 million worldwide, compared to the $745 million earned by its predecessor "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe."

As planned, the third film will be directed by Michael Apted with Mark Johnson and original director Andrew Adamson co-producing. Ben Barnes, Skandar Keynes and Georgie Henley will be returning as Prince Caspian, Edmund and Lucy while Will Poulter from Garth Jennings' Son of Rambow will play Eustace Clarence Scrubb.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52379

• 1 month later...
Twentieth Century Fox and Walden Media will release The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader on December 10, 2010, reports Variety.

Fox recently partnered with Walden on the "Narnia" film series after Disney and Walden parted ways.

As of now, "Dawn Treader" has the 2010 date to itself.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53387

• 1 year later...

Doesn't appear to be much in the way of character development for Eustace, which is pretty crappy since the majority of the next two films (Silver Chair and Last Battle) should be based around him. If they've skipped the dragon deal with him its a huge problem for the franchise.

I'd imagine that they're not showing Eustace much in the trailer because he's not a character that audiences know yet.

And was that Cosmic Boy from Smallville on the ship? Awesome. I like that actor.

This looks like it might recapture some of that "magical wonder" that was lost in the last film. I approve.

• 1 month later...

Gotta love how all four siblings are there, even though two aren't in the book. As a matter of fact, Aslan told the older two that they would never come back to Narnia in the last movie. They better be just flashbacks or something. After watching again, that's Lucy with the bow, not Susan. I'm still wondering why no Caspian or Eustace in the trailer though.

Gotta love how all four siblings are there, even though two aren't in the book. As a matter of fact, Aslan told the older two that they would never come back to Narnia in the last movie. They better be just flashbacks or something.

Honestly, that's one element of the books that I don't really care about. I mean, Peter ended up there eventually anyway, and Susan was almost randomly shoved out at the end.

I think that's the one important thing you shouldn't violate when recreating the books. Not being able to go to Narnia is an important departure for those characters, they're growing up and in a sense the lose the imagination to be able to be a part of it. Its probably one of the most important themes CS Lewis placed in the book.

Gotta love how all four siblings are there, even though two aren't in the book. As a matter of fact, Aslan told the older two that they would never come back to Narnia in the last movie. They better be just flashbacks or something.

Honestly, that's one element of the books that I don't really care about. I mean, Peter ended up there eventually anyway, and Susan was almost randomly shoved out at the end.

Technically, Peter didn't go back to Narnia. He kinda died and went to Narnia's afterlife.

As for the Susan thing, yeah, that's the popular opinion.

I think the idea was that Susan became shallow and lost her faith. It works as an allegorical thing, but it was just so random and out-of-the-blue that it's frustrating.

A friend of mine and I have a weird theory that Lewis probably knew someone in real life named Susan who became a bitch, so he kept her out of Narnia-heaven.

Those people have their panties in a twist. It's not an anti-feminist thing, it's a don't-be-shallow thing.

In my case it's a Character derailment thing. Susan never gave any indication beforehand that she was vapid and then, poof, vapid for no real reason whatsoever. I liked the Neil Gaiman short story, "The Problem of Susan." It really helped get across the problems with the exclusion of Susan. Mind you, this is all over the only character that gets to survive so maybe Lewis is teaching us that becoming a git will lead to survival and if you're good, you get to die a trainwreck.

In my case it's a Character derailment thing. Susan never gave any indication beforehand that she was vapid and then, poof, vapid for no real reason whatsoever.

Oh, I have major problems with that, too. Totally agree.

Mind you, this is all over the only character that gets to survive so maybe Lewis is teaching us that becoming a git will lead to survival and if you're good, you get to die a trainwreck.

I think the reason she survived was because that way she'd still have a chance to become a good person again.

• 2 weeks later...