Favourite Mature Readers Title

Darque Edge

What is your favourite Mature Readers title of all time?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simple question. Say which you like, and explain why.

For me, it's difficult to choose. Preacher, Transmet and Sandman are all awesome, but in the end, I'd have to go with Sandman. It was, for me, life-changing. It made me look at things in a new light, and started me down a path where I found philosophy, and it helped me through a lot.

Different artists, but the most consistent writing I've ever seen make this my favourite comic series in history.

Yours?

Part of me feels that Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns should be on here as well, maybe in place of Fables and Punisher.

Anyway, because I still haven't finished Sandman, I can't comment on that. But I have read every issue of both Preacher and Transmet, and, to say the least, they're pieces of literature -- as I know Sandman is.

However, what Garth is doing with the Punisher right now is a breath of fresh air, especially after the campy garbage he was producing near the end of the last run. With that said, I don't know how long he can sustain it until it becomes old -- again. Cursing and excessive violence can only carry you so far. Then again, that's pretty much what he's built his career on. (Don't get me wrong; I love most of what the man does. I'm just saying.)

So, after careful thought, my vote goes to Preacher because, despite the circumstances, it felt real for the most part and it was something I could relate to.

Ennis is never going to get better than he was with Preacher. Great cast of characters, unheard-of situations and environments, and a tremendous ongoing thread that tied the whole thing together. It's tough to vote against the Sandman, but Preacher barely edges it out in my book.

Were Watchmen up there, though, I'd have given it my vote.

drq

3 words: Preludes and Nocturnes.

Sandman owns on so many levels, it's scary.

Preludes and Nocturnes? I agree with you on the ownage bit....but personally, I found P and N to be the weakest arc of the whole thing...it was only with the last issue (the first Death issue) that Gaiman really got into his groove.

Personally, I'd say the best arc is The Kindly Ones, and the best one off being Ramadan.

3 words: Preludes and Nocturnes.

Sandman owns on so many levels, it's scary.

Preludes and Nocturnes? I agree with you on the ownage bit....but personally, I found P and N to be the weakest arc of the whole thing...it was only with the last issue (the first Death issue) that Gaiman really got into his groove.

Personally, I'd say the best arc is The Kindly Ones, and the best one off being Ramadan.

Oh, I liked it a lot. I read it backstage during play rehearsals and loved every page. When Morpheus got revenge on those who held him captive for so long, I almost marked out. :D

I also liked The Kindly Ones and A Game of You quite a bit.