Battle Arena Toshinden OVA

RSS

For over a decade I have held the opinion that Battle Arena Toshinden and its first sequel are among the most underrated fighting games ever produced for the PlayStation 2. They aren't the best by any stretch, but they are immensely enjoyable -- especially Toshinden 2, which was a smoother, crisper improvement to the debut. Being the fanboy of those two games that I was (and still am), I readily and eagerly purchased the Battle Arena Toshinden anime OVA when it came out in 1997. Sadly, as is so often the case with movies based on video games, I was gravely disappointed. What I got for my loyalty to the series was a garbled disarray of horrible voice acting and dubbing, subpar / horrific animation, dull characters and a plot that can best be described as "unnoticeable."

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/a/battle-arena-toshinden

Read it yesterday and found it hilarious (shock). The one thing I must disagree with in art was the screaming out the attacks. In most anime I would agree with you, but when it's based off of a fighting game where they DO scream it out I like it to stay that way, I do enjoy the idea of Eiji screaming Shozan just like he does in the game.

Read it yesterday and found it hilarious (shock). The one thing I must disagree with in art was the screaming out the attacks. In most anime I would agree with you, but when it's based off of a fighting game where they DO scream it out I like it to stay that way, I do enjoy the idea of Eiji screaming Shozan just like he does in the game.

Then explain why Tracy, whom in the OVA was NOT yet a Toshinden fighter, has names for her attacks while fighting the Man Machines. Do cops now yell out ".38 MILLIMETER!!" when they shoot someone? And as for Eiji, he is still speaking English. He really should yell out "Flaming Bagel". It would be hysterical.

Thanks for the kind words. :D