Did Rob Liefeld steal Cable...

Missy

Is this Cable?  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some time back I was reading an article online (which I can't find now) questioning whether or not Rob Liefeld stole Cable from an old issue of Marvel's Star Wars series. Though the article didn't provide an image, they did state which issue the character could be found in. After a very quick search on eBay (which also didn't showcase an image), I found said issue (#16) and purchased it.

Quite frankly, I was skeptical and chalked it up to the rampant hatred of Liefeld. However, when the issue arrived, I was shocked to finally see the cover and had to wonder if it was a coincidence or not.

So, presented below, is a scan of the cover and a drawing of Cable by Liefeld himself.

The evidence:

sw_x.jpg

Naah. That character also looks like Nick Fury. Which is a shame, cause I hate Rob Liefeld, and would gladly take the piss.

This said, I note the Star Wars artist does have difficulty drawing feet, which doesn't remind me of any famous artist, honest, guv.

And Cable was a Terminator 2 rip-off anyway.

How do you figure? Cable first appeared in New Mutants #86 (cameo) and #87 (full), which were published in February and March of 1990. Meaning, they would have been drawn in mid to late 1989. Terminator 2 was released in July of 1991.

How do you figure? Cable first appeared in New Mutants #86 (cameo) and #87 (full), which were published in February and March of 1990. Meaning, they would have been drawn in mid to late 1989. Terminator 2 was released in July of 1991.

Terminator 1 then.

The idea maybe (a militant coming from a dark future), but certainly not the look.

Half human, half robot? With lots of guns? Who can teleport? With one eye, which glows? That doesn't echo the look of Terminator?

And I know that Cable isn't a cyborg, but that wasn't made clear for quite a while in the comics, IIRC.

Star Wars #16

THE HUNTER 

Published: October 1978

Story: ARCHIE GOODWIN

Art: WALTER SIMONSON and BOB WIACEK

Captain Valance, a bounty hunter with a violent hatred of droids, destroy an outworld medical base where a dying Kihotay utters clues about his mission with Han and the Sprites. Valance seeks out and finds Jax and Amaiza and learns about Aduba-3. Mistaking Jimm for Luke in images of him with his droids, Valance leaves the Aduba-3 when he discovers his error.

Souce: TheForce.net

Based on that description and the picture, I'd say no. In all honesty, this Hunter character seems like just a ripoff of The Punisher to me, just with droids rather than organized crime.

He's all human (well, mutant).  The arm is just a futuristic prosthetic.  Is someone with a modern prosthetic half human?  The guns and eye I'll give you.

Wasn't his arm and eye a result of the virus, he was infected with as a kid?

That was added later by Scott Lobdell.

And in answer to Yoda, I always thought it was originally intended as hinting that he had more robotic parts that we couldn't see. It was never explained as being prosthetic, it was always just there.

And in answer to Yoda, I always thought it was originally intended as hinting that he had more robotic parts that we couldn't see. It was never explained as being prosthetic, it was always just there.

This may help you out

Good site - although I'm aware of Cable's history already. What I'm saying is how Liefeld originally intended it, not what Lobdell etc added to it later, if that makes sense. Cable ended up being a far better character than he should have been, mainly thanks to Scott Lobdell.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Liefeld ripped him off. Besides ripping shit off happens all the time in comics (Generation X/Gen 13, Prowler/Spawn/Nightwatch, etc.).

I actually like Liefeldd when he is drawing Cable and the X-Force characters. he really has a place in his heart ofr those characters. I agree that Liefeld has some serious deficiencies as a storyteller (and in drawing feet), but I thought that he's been a better pin-up guy (like J. Scott Campbell) than stroyteller (ala John Romita Jr.).

Cable #75 is I think Liefeld's best work on the character.

ripping shit off happens all the time in comics (Generation X/Gen 13....

Those two books coming out at nearly the same time was actually a very strange coincidence. Remember, Gen 13 was going to be called Gen X but Marvel's legal team made them change the name for obvious reasons.