Inside the TARDIS: The End (1981-1989)

RSS

Due to several circumstances -- illness, boredom, an almost superhuman inability to get along with new producer John Nathan-Turner -- Tom Baker announced in October 1980 that he would be leaving the title role of the Doctor at the end of his seventh season. In the minds of the public Baker was the Doctor, and this was a blow that could easily have crippled the longest-running science fiction television show in the world. However, Nathan-Turner seized his chance to completely remake the show the way he saw fit, and over the next eight years the role would be played by a 29 year old bleach-blonde light comedy actor, a noisy soap opera villain in a clown suit and a former vaudevillian who specialized in stuffing live ferrets down his trousers. Unsurprisingly, it was also cancelled. Twice.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/articles/inside-the-tardis-03

Another sterling piece, Dan. I do hope that you make note of Michael Grade in the next article though, as he's seen by many to be the reason that the BBC stopped caring about Dr Who from 1985 onto the modern era. Admittedly, you mention the BBC's reluctance to support the show, but Grade seemed to have a personal emnity towards the show. It was his call to have Colin Baker fired, saying his portrayal of the Doctor was "utterly unlikable, absolutely god-awful in fact" (thanks wikipedia!) and was dating Baker's ex-wife at the time. He admitted to personally disliking the show and submitted it as one of his hated proposals for the show Room 101.

Sorry for the info-dump - it reads almost spitefully on my part!

Good show old man.

I have to say this looks like the show went through it's darkest period for the show.

Have to say though, why is it that you end every day with a cliffhanger?

I swear if at the end, you end with:

Then they found Dan's cellmate hanging from the celling, but the real question wasn't how he got there. The real question now was where did Dan leave teacakes.

Another sterling piece, Dan. I do hope that you make note of Michael Grade in the next article though, as he's seen by many to be the reason that the BBC stopped caring about Dr Who from 1985 onto the modern era. Admittedly, you mention the BBC's reluctance to support the show, but Grade seemed to have a personal emnity towards the show. It was his call to have Colin Baker fired, saying his portrayal of the Doctor was "utterly unlikable, absolutely god-awful in fact" (thanks wikipedia!) and was dating Baker's ex-wife at the time. He admitted to personally disliking the show and submitted it as one of his hated proposals for the show Room 101.

Sorry for the info-dump - it reads almost spitefully on my part!

Grade's hatred of the show, and of Colin personally, were legendary. And he was the face of the BBC's enmity towards the program. However, It was Powell who made the real decision to cancel the show, and so that's who I focused on.