Batman Anthology DVD Set 89-97

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

I am unsure if there is any thread directly talking about the Batman films from 1989-1997 so here's my contribution. I recently bought this set because I've never had these films on DVD let alone 2 Disc DVD Editions.

Over the last 2 days I've been rewatching these films because even though most people on here hate these films I liked them at the time. With rewatching them I've been doing that with the commentaries. Well I should clarify I tried to watch the 89 Batman with the Burton commentary but just had to change it to watch it without that crap. Burton just talks wayyyy to slow. Through Batman Forever and Batman & Robin I did watch the commentaries and even though I'm not done with B&R yet you get some good insight to the films. In the B&R commentary Schumaker talks about how Batman & Robin was made just for toys.

Overall The set is a nice addition to any DVD collection whether you like the films or not. And there are hours of bonus features.

I hope I have not pissed anyone off or made anyone wanna face palm But I had to give my thoughts on the DVD set....not the films themselves. :D

I am unsure if there is any thread directly talking about the Batman films from 1989-1997 so here's my contribution. I recently bought this set because I've never had these films on DVD let alone 2 Disc DVD Editions.

Over the last 2 days I've been rewatching these films because even though most people on here hate these films I liked them at the time. With rewatching them I've been doing that with the commentaries. Well I should clarify I tried to watch the 89 Batman with the Burton commentary but just had to change it to watch it without that crap. Burton just talks wayyyy to slow. Through Batman Forever and Batman & Robin I did watch the commentaries and even though I'm not done with B&R yet you get some good insight to the films. In the B&R commentary Schumaker talks about how Batman & Robin was made just for toys.

Overall The set is a nice addition to any DVD collection whether you like the films or not. And there are hours of bonus features.

I hope I have not pissed anyone off or made anyone wanna face palm But I had to give my thoughts on the DVD set....not the films themselves. :D

I love my Batman set and Superman set. I've listened to all the commentaries on both sets 3 times and watched the documentaries more than that. It does give great insight and while Burton's commentaries are slow its informative

Well, if we don't hear from Yoda for a while, we know he went into a coma for banging his head on his desk too many times from reading this thread. All joking aside, if it weren't for the Burton films, we wouldn't have BTAS or the newer updated Nolan films, sadly without Robin or Batgirl yet.

I liked Batman '89 a lot when I was younger, but I'm not as into it anymore. I still like it, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever even though they aren't very good films. I'd buy the DVDs if I found them really cheap, but watching them whenever they are on TV is enough for me.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I just finished watching the commentary on Batman & Robin and one thing that pisses me off is that throughout the entire commentary Schumaker keeps saying "I wanted to make it a kid friendly batman so that's why "I" didn't have batman kill anyone. This pisses me off because hello that's one of the main DC things since Kane created him that Batman doesn't directly kill.

Anyways I never knew Gossip Gerdy was Bob Kane's wife that was kinda cool. I hope Mike hasn't bashed his head against the desk over this thread that would be a little drastic. I figured when I started it that it would be better then bumping E2 TS Episode 266 and I wanted a place to talk about all 4 films. :D

I give kudos to Warner Brothers, not only did they get commentaries on all the Batman films(except the newer ones), but the Superman films too(including the Richard Donner Cut of Superman 2). I may do a review on both sets and individual discs, but I want to get The Dark Knight first. So far, here are my scores

Batman(1989) 2 Disc Special Edition

Even with all the plotholes(that James and Mike have shown me)we still get a good performance by all who are in the film.

The Special Features are great, top notch.

Commentary by Tim Burton; informative, but a tad slow and sadly Burton allows several minutes of dead air. It would have been great to hear Michael Keaton, who was supposed to join Burton at one point.

On the Set with Bob Kane, a small featurette shot in 1989 during production of the film about how Kane first conceived the idea of Batman.

Legends of the Dark Knight: History of Batman; very informative and fun documentary, very much in the style of many of the Marvel documentaries that accompany their DVD's. Tons of interviews and snipets, rewatchable over and over again.

Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of The Dark Knight Parts 1-3

Shown in three parts in the conception, rewrites and eventual marketing of Batman in 1989(including a deleted scene). The feature continues through the other DVD's.

Beyond Batman Documenteries; several short featurettes that you can watch together(as a documentary)or seperately. Probably my least favorite of the features, but adds more info on the technical aspects of the film.

The Heroes and Villains Profile Galleries; Small interviews about the characters portrayed in the film.

Batman: The Complete Robin Storyboard Sequence; fun scene to watch in storyboard form. Starring the DCAU voices Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, also with Jason Hillhouse as Robin.

Music videos by Prince

I'm not a huge Prince fan, but the music he performed in the film was catchy, Trust wasn't made into a video, but these were

Partyman; curiously this is the cut down 5 minute version, as opposed to the 7+ minute version, but since its Prince its amazing that we got one let alone three of his videos on here(I heard he's hard to work wth)

Scandalous; my least favorite as its the slowest song of the three

Batdance; no fucking sense this video really, nothing more to say

7 out of 10

Batman Returns(1992) 2 Discs Special Edition

This film has several problems, while its not the worse of the series, its still a downer. I am a Burton fan. This film also introduced me to the great Christopher Walken

Special Features

Commentary by Tim Burton; once again it is informative, but like all his commentaries he leaves gaps and tends to sound like he doesn't want to be there.

The Bat, The Cat and The Penguin; you know I remember this little featurette when I was younger and boy is it fun to see it on here.

Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight part 4; continuing on from the first 3 parts, we get 30 minutes of great information on the making of the film, the problems and the casting choices, etc.

Beyond Batman Documentary; same as for part 1 with the culled together set of featurettes or as one documentary. Great information for those who look for the technical aspects on the film.

The Heroes and Villains Profile Galleries; same as part one, this time dealing with the characters in Batman Returns

Siouxsie and the Banshees music video Face to Face; this version of the song features scenes from the film; I do enjoy this song, as it has a very gothic tone to the song and does amplify the relationship between Batman/Bruce Wayne and Catwoman/Selena Kyle. The original version of the video is not on here though.

5 out of 10

Batman Forever(1995) 2 Disc Special Edition

In my opinion better than Returns, while it does lose the darkness that the first two had it still manages to capture your attention. The performances are a bit over the top though.

Special Features

Commentary by Joel Schumacher; great commentary, Schumacher sounds very enthused with giving us fans this information bad and good. Somewhat better than Burton's commentary, even if the films aren't.

Deleted Scenes, wow the darkness was here at one point, but the studio felt that it was too dark and wanted a brighter Batman, well at least the scenes were shot. There was rumors that Schumacher wanted to splice these scenes back into the film, but apparently they didn't go with the idea. Oh well.

Riddle Me This; Why is Batman Forever? Small featurette being hosted by Chris O'Donnell about how the film was brought together. Just like with the Returns featurette it is fun to watch and yes I can remember watching it when I was younger.

Shadows of the Bat: Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight part 5; Here we are again, another 30 minute featurette on how they got the ball rolling on a third film. Plus a shocker....Burton had more ideas and wanted to continue...WB said he should stay on, but as a Producer. Now while Returns wasn't the best sequel, it could have gotten better instead of worse and never would've gotten to Batman & Robin the way it did.

Beyond Batman; same as before, nothing more

The Heroes and villains Profile galleries; great once again

Seal music video "Kiss By A Rose" great music video, showing the love between Chase Meridian and Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Sad however, U2's Music video "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me isn't on here.

6 out of 10

Batman & Robin (1997) 2 Disc Special Edition

Well if you can view this as an updated camp version of the 60's show its pretty good, but never should have been in the series continuity.

Special Features

Commentary by Joel Schmacher; wow, the commentary here actually makes watching the film fun, lol

Shadow of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight part 6; the final part of this epic documentary doesn't hide the fact that the film was a disaster.

Deleted Scene; although I heard there was more, we get one deleted scene, with mention of Metropolis(could this mean that Batman Vs Superman was being considered at that point?)

Beyond Batman; once again we get insight of the technical apects of Batman & Robin

The Heroes and Villains Profile Galleries; this is actually a good piece to have on this DVD.

Smashing Pumpkins music video "The End is the Beginning is the End" a remix version of what will eventually end up on the Watchmen film. Great song, the video is a bit eh

R Kelly music video "Gotham City" nice little song, too bad the remix version of the video wasn't included

Jewel music video "Foolish Games" nice song, probably one of the few songs I actually like from her(I'm not into Country)

Bone Thugs N Harmony music video "Look into My Eyes" I love this song, BTIH are one of my favorite old school rap groups.

7 out of 10