GeekPlanet

(note - if Mods want to merge this with the podcast thread, please do feel free. I do think they're separate things, but I'll go with your thoughts on it).

I've recently taken over as Editor of GeekPlanet. Matt is remaining owner/publisher, but I'll be taking on board more of the day-to-day stuff (Matt, for those of you who don't know, being my co-host on the Eclectic Podcast).

We've decided to make some pretty major changes to the site. The changes, and the reasoning behind it, are explained in the first GeekPlanet edition of 'Standing at the Edge'. Check out www.geekplanet.co.uk for all the information.

As usual, any and all feedback is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I know there are wrestling fans on here (as I got to know most of you via the Oratory), I'd be interested in thoughts on my latest 'Standing at the Edge' column. I'm trying to explain why I'm into wrestling to a group of non-wrestling fans.

Reading now.

Is forwent a word?

Ok, now I've read it. Good stuff, you actually covered a lot of what I'm looking to in my article covering 10 years of wrestling fandom (coming up at the end of the year). It a business thats has a foot in the 19th century and yet has been considered cutting edge. Its an openly fixed sport. Its 8 fans in a school gym or 70,000 in a stadium. Its at one and the same time the most and least professional form of entertainment you can buy a ticket to.

I'd have liked it if the conclusion tied together all these things instead of attacking the final result of Mania (dead on as your analysis was). Then again if Pro Wrestling was easy to explain I'd have converted someone by now, which I never have. You certainly nailed why its so damn hard to create new fans. Nice food for thought.

Is forwent a word?

Yep. Past tense of 'forgo'.

Ok, now I've read it. Good stuff, you actually covered a lot of what I'm looking to in my article covering 10 years of wrestling fandom (coming up at the end of the year). It a business thats has a foot in the 19th century and yet has been considered cutting edge. Its an openly fixed sport. Its 8 fans in a school gym or 70,000 in a stadium. Its at one and the same time the most and least professional form of entertainment you can buy a ticket to.

I'd have liked it if the conclusion tied together all these things instead of attacking the final result of Mania (dead on as your analysis was). Then again if Pro Wrestling was easy to explain I'd have converted someone by now, which I never have. You certainly nailed why its so damn hard to create new fans. Nice food for thought.

Cheers - Yeah, I looked at it as the final part of the column coming two paragraphs above that, but your point is very much taken.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, the latest 'Standing at the Edge' is all about Alan Turing, who cracked the Enigma Code the Germans were using. It's an important story, and one that made me very, very angry.

Just read it as well. I knew that there were laws against that kind of thing in the 50's, but chemical castration as a legitimate option? The whole story was sickening. Thanks for bringing it to light for me Chris.

• 2 months later...

Oh no, Definitely don't do that. I would be most upset if my fortnightly column about geek issues gets any kind of mention at all. As I'm sure you would be if I were to mention your column "Standing At The Edge" which can also be found on geekplanetonline.com. As such I won't be mentioning it. No siree bob.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ooh, it's been a while since I pimped in here, hasn't it?

Okay, there's loads on the front page over at GeekPlanet.

Video gaming? Check out the Hairy Gamer's retro podcast 'One More Go'.

Horror? Well, we've got the awesome, awesome Gentleman's Grindhouse podcast. Also, the latest 'Standing at the Edge' is all about viral internet horror, Marble Hornets and the utterly-fucking-terrifying Slender Man.

Sci-Fi? Check out the latest Eclectic Podcast, with the classic Geek Argument - WHO! IS! AWESOMEST? (Star Trek Captains version).

Comedy? Earth-2's own Ian Wilson has continued with his 'Carry On Scribbling' column, and has reviewed the classic 'Carry On Nurse'.

So, yeah - check it all out. There's loads to listen to and read.