Marvel Introduces Foilgram Covers

Koete

Marvel is pleased to unveil the special variant covers to Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1 and Ultimate Comics Armor Wars #1 utilizing the brand-new Foilogram cover treatment! Part foil, part hologram, these reflective covers will jump at you from shelves! Watch as Spider-Man’s webbing catches the light! Examine the intricate technology of Tony Stark! And, yes, that’s Captain America’s shield shining back at you!

“This is Marvel doing the nineties right,” explained David Gabriel, Marvel Comics Senior Vice President of Sales & Circulation. “We’re taking two of the most popular cover treatments of all time—foil and holograms—to create an all new kind of cover, as a ‘thank-you’ to fans who’ve been demanding this kind of variant! Retailers and fans don’t need to worry. We’re only doing this on a limited basis. You won’t see one on Ms Marvel #46 or Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #4. We’re using them to mark very special occasions…such as the launch of Ultimate Comics line.”

As the Ultimate Comics line launches with Marvel’s top characters and top creators, you can’t miss the star-studded Ultimate Comics Avengers #1, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1 and Ultimate Comics Armor Wars #1, now with Foilogram Variant Covers! Fans, speak to your retailers now about how to secure one of these variant covers!

UltimateComicsAvengers_01_Foilogram.thumbnail.jpg

UltimateComicsSpiderMan_01_Foilogram.thumbnail.jpg

http://www.marvelnoise.com/2009/07/09/what...ilogram-covers/

Words fail me.

I don't think you'd get the foil cover anyway Des.

This is probably like a normal kick the fans in the balls variant, with "Buy 2 normal variants and get this variant after that"

Is Cap giving the Nazi salute?

That would be a great story twist, Captain America going to the other side. Hell I'd read it, no one else would but I would.

I don't think you'd get the foil cover anyway Des.

On principle, I meant.

That would be a great story twist, Captain America going to the other side. Hell I'd read it, no one else would but I would.

I think it would be insulting actually. Ask a comics fan in their sixties or seventies what they think about that.

Cause sadly someone will buy it, sadly.

If the person likes the cover and doesn't mind paying $8 for it, then that's fine, it's their choice, but not if the retailer gets it for the same price as a normal issue.

But why have a stupid variant, if you like the shiny cover to be on issue ones then make it general, not a frigging variant which everyone is getting tired of, considering the trades sometimes have the variant pictures in the back.

Or you can find the picture on the internet for free, get some nice paper and print it off yourself and stick it to the cover of your comic.

Cost of paper £1

Cost of ink:7p

Sticking it to Marvel/DC/Asshole retailer: Priceless.

It has to do with the ratio. Let's say the average $3.99 comic book costs the retailer $1.75 to order, and he would normally order 75 copies of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1. But the super-special variant is of the 1:100 kind. That means he has to order an extra 25 books just to get that one cover. At the cost of $1.75 / book, the variant is costing him an extra $43.75. He'll mark that up to at least $50 to cover said cost and earn a profit.

Yeah, I do too, retailers need to make their money to.

But it's the same as the captain america thing recently, retailers don't have take part in the variants, if they already order 100 copys of Ultimate Spider man and he gets a copy of the variant, then that's that.

If they don't get it, then say to the customer "Some jackass is probably already selling it on eBay"