Lois & Clark The New Adventures of Superman

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

The reason I'm starting this topic is because apparently there isn't one dedicated to the show. Also Tom & Derrick's Superman Part 1 episode has made me go back and watch this show again on DVD. I have all four seasons, and I'm currently in the middle of Season 1. One of the great things about this show that I like is how mischievous Clark can be. I find that very refreshing to the character. The way Dean Cain played him was like the "classic" Clark Kent, but he added the funny to him. I understand that this show is supposed to be a romantic comedy type. I think it works in this instance. I'll be posting more thoughts as I watch more of the show.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DCAUFan1051

I have never actually watched this. But I'm gonna try to, then see how great it is.

to each their own really... I like it and everything I like I think is great.

I remember for some odd reason this show and Brisco County Jr with fondness from my early teen years. I think Lois & Clark because it was the first superman entity anywhere since the films at that time. (I could be wrong in saying that) However I think it was the next thing to come along after the Reeve Films. John Shea who plays Lex Luthor in this went on to play Adam in Mutant X. Adam was the Professor X type leader character in that show. When I first saw him in that I was like whoa what's Lex doing as a good guy?

To digress even though Lois & Clark has it's flaws I think it deserves a fair shake..... more thoughts to come haven't been watching much this morning.

I remember for some odd reason this show and Brisco County Jr with fondness from my early teen years. I think Lois & Clark because it was the first superman entity anywhere since the films at that time.

I think there was a Superman animated series and a live-action Superboy series in there.

Yeah, actually, Lois & Clark was my first-ever introduction to superheroes. It's cheesy, but somehow still great at the same time.

I really love the Superman costume in the show: dark shimmering blue, a bright red cape, and a giant symbol. I feel like that's the way that the Superman Returns costume should have gone. (but that's another thread)

Yeah, Superboy was the late 80's I think, and the animated series debuted on september 6th 1996.

Funny fact, the comics did the death of Superman cause they had a year to kill in Superman terms, as they wanted to do the wedding of Clark and Lois and were asked/told to hold off on it for a year. They mentioned it on the Superman: Doomsday DVD, one of the only reasons to own that fucking movie.

Guest DCAUFan1051

but L&C was before S:TAS it premiered September 12th 1993. And yes there was the Superboy series in the 80's. However I thought that this show was the next live action thing for Supes after Superman IV. Still watching Season 1 DVDs tonight and great shades of elvis David Warner played Jor-El in this show! wowzers I didn't remember that.

Oh yeah also Richard Belzer (Munch in Law & Order SVU) is a detective in this! cool!

Guest DCAUFan1051

but L&C was before S:TAS it premiered September 12th 1993.

I'm talking about a different Superman animated series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_%281988_TV_series%29

ahh yes.

Also one of the greatest aspects of this show is the way Jonathan and Martha are played. Almost every time you see them they're on the phone sharing the call with clark.

And I finally get to put a face to Shere Khan's voice actor from Tale Spin Tony Jay. He plays Lex's servant Nigel.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Also one of the greatest aspects of this show is the way Jonathan and Martha are played. Almost every time you see them they're on the phone sharing the call with clark.

Yeah, I really like that we get a Kent family that's still alive and gets lots of screen time. It's refreshing.

yes it is.

Also in the episode I just watched they show Clark's treehouse when he was younger and titled it Fortress of Solitude... that's just awesome.

As far as where the show jumped the shark I'd say it was the lois frog eating clone. That was just nasty. However I like when they married them for real. I like watching Lois and Clark as a couple.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Currently watching an episode where Lex has Superman cloned. Now so far througout the first season Lois has kissed both Clark and Superman. When she kisses the clone she then tells Clark that she has kissed Supes before. And that wasn't him.

My issue with this is that HELLO if she's kissed the genuine article in both identities wouldn't she then figure it out!... Hell MJ did in Spider-Man lol.

Guest DCAUFan1051

In this same cloning ep there's a scene close to the end where there is a studio tour thing. The lady says welcome to Metro Bros Film Studio. It even has the classic WB logo but with MB instead. Mow I know of music rights issues and stuff, but this show was put out by Warner Bros... so why the change? Am I just reading into it too much? It's really not that big of a deal and it did make me laugh.

In this same cloning ep there's a scene close to the end where there is a studio tour thing. The lady says welcome to Metro Bros Film Studio. It even has the classic WB logo but with MB instead. Mow I know of music rights issues and stuff, but this show was put out by Warner Bros... so why the change? Am I just reading into it too much? It's really not that big of a deal and it did make me laugh.

It wouldn't have been a rights issue; WB put their logo all over everything back then.

Heck, the Animaniacs lived inside of a giant WB logo.

Guest DCAUFan1051

haha yeah they lived in the WB water tower! wow that place was huge on the inside. I'm currently watching the making of featurette on the S1 Disc 6. Will give thoughts on that later.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I'm currently watching the making of featurette on the S1 Disc 6. Will give thoughts on that later.

Dammit; you're making me want to go out and grab that DVD set now! >_<

I'll have to Netflix it.

dude blame Tom & Derrick... them talking about it on the latest Better In The Dark has made me want to watch the series again.

Also on the Season 1 DVD Set there are 4 special feature type things a commentary on the pilot on disc 1 and original pilot presentation. The DVD set also says interviews with Dean Cain & Terri Hatcher... unless they are meaning within the featurettes there are no separate interviews. Disc 6 has the making of and behind the effects featurettes. I'm currently watching the final episodes of Season 1... I'll finish it in the morning then start on Season 2.

I must say Michael Landes is growing on me as Jimmy, but I remember Justin Whalin more as this series' jimmy.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Statement:

Dean Cain is my favorite Superman.

I agree, but I'd modify it to he is my favorite live action TV Superman... Christopher Reeve will always be movie Supes for me. No matter how many "look a likes" Bryan Singer would get.

And I never noticed that much of a difference between Tim Daly and George Newbern so I like both of those animated Supermen!

Also I really enjoy John Shea's Lex... it's a competent evil Luthor. He's just downright evil... so evil that it's awesome.

That's not to say Hackman wasn't awesome in the Reeve films. And while I haven't seen it in a while Spacey's Lex was ok. I like Michael Rosenbaum, but he's not the best Lex Luthor.

I think Dean Cain is by far the most charming and personable Superman. Christopher Reeve doesn't always come across as genuine for me.

Part of it might also be the costume; I always though that the Reeve costume was kinda dorky-looking.

Most of all, though, it's probably due to the fact that Cain was the first Superman that I ever knew, so he defines the character in a lot of ways for me.

I'm not fond of Teri Hatcher's Lois, though. She always bothered me.

I like Lex as played by Rosenbaum best, I think. Hackman and Shea are the slightest bit cheesy, which is always a little off-putting. Spacey's Lex is insanely good, though. I mean, the whole "WROOOOOONG!" line was brilliant, and the "Lois Lane?" line with the toothbrush was classic.

Guest DCAUFan1051

That's understandable on Cain being your Supes. The same for the Lex thing. I dunno though Shea's portrayal to me seemed the most diabolical out of all the live action Luthor's and he is portrayed as the businessman who is evil... kinda like the S:TAS Lex. OOOhhh imagine if Shea would be the next Lex instead of Spacey returning hahaha.

Going to finish up Season 1 DVD's this morning then start on Season 2. Before I finish S1 I'm gonna go back to disc 1 to hear the commentary on the pilot.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Finished Season 1.... going back and watching the commentary on the pilot. Overall I thought that Season 1 was a great introduction to the series. There are very few if any episodes that I disliked on a whole. Starting Season 2 in a few hours.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Ahh Season 2........... why do I hate thee?

Well for the simple fact that they used the ex lover of Lex Revenge against Lois and Superman wayyy tooo much. Watching the Season Premiere and I really can't stand the character of Arianna Carlin.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Still watching Season 2.... on to the episode where Lex comes back from the dead.... John Shea looks good as both the bald Luthor and one with hair. Plus the vengeance pilot for him is pretty cool.

So far while watching S2 there have been a few silly episodes but overall nothing unbelieveable

Guest DCAUFan1051

OK watching S2 Episode 18- Lucky Leon... this is the first date Lois and Clark go on. While Clark is getting ready after he super changes into and out of several outfits. He finds on e and finishes by sayin "Smokin" and speeds off. The sound effect is just like the one in The Mask. So this show has dated itself, even though Debra Joy LeVine said she wanted it to be timeless.

Mind you I'm not complaining about the scene it got a chuckle, but this is more of an observation.