Episode 22

RSS

Whilst not the last episode of For Your Ears Only, the official Bond franchise is finally caught up with as Ian and Adham review its most recent offering: Quantum of Solace. As they take on the maligned Daniel Craig sequel, the hosts also profile the current 007, whilst the name "Dalton" gets thrown about a bit. Also, Adham gets worked up over a table, Ian compares the Bond villain to wrestler Sean "X-Pac" Waltman, and someone is at their most music hall with both singing and blaxploitation impressions. [ 2:53:15 || 69.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/foryourearsonly/episodes/foryourearsonly_022.mp3

Speaking of the pre-title sequence in ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, I am amazed that neither you nor your Brooklyn counterparts pointed out what I consider one of the most annoying gaffes in the film (one of my favorites, if you remember). As the cars peel out in the sand, the tires screech, as though they were on asphault. This doesn't just happen once, but several times. Unacceptable.

What's the number for voicemail?

We don't have one. What I meant is anyone who wants to send in audio mail, record an MP3 and send it our way

Speaking of the pre-title sequence in ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, I am amazed that neither you nor your Brooklyn counterparts pointed out what I consider one of the most annoying gaffes in the film (one of my favorites, if you remember).

I'd remember more easily if we'd had an email from someone named "Grubl".

Well, *I* like Another Way to Die. If only that Keys woman wasn't on it, ruining it by not being able to blend with Jack White, despite having exactly the same voice.

I also like Quantum of Solace. A lot of the criticisms I heard I couldn't understand. Apparently it's got no sense of humour at all. At All. Which just isn't true - several moments made me laugh out loud, for the right reasons. And Bond only has sex once (or twice?) in the whole film, but not with the Actual Bond Girl. I don't see why we're supposed to care. It's like the only kind of Bond film that many people will accept are the ridiculously pun-filled, innuendo-laden shagathons of the late Moore/Brosnan eras - which are such a minority in the whole Bond film canon. Crucially, it's like people don't want to see anything NEW. It's an 8/10 for me. Oh, and I never noticed the CGI. Really.

Anyone seen this?

My link

Looks like Mr White will be disappearing into the night after Tosca...

Here's a question - best final line for any character? Although I think Q will already have won...

Richard Paterson

...of Death!

Well, *I* like Another Way to Die. If only that Keys woman wasn't on it, ruining it by not being able to blend with Jack White, despite having exactly the same voice.

I also like Quantum of Solace. A lot of the criticisms I heard I couldn't understand. Apparently it's got no sense of humour at all. At All. Which just isn't true - several moments made me laugh out loud, for the right reasons. And Bond only has sex once (or twice?) in the whole film, but not with the Actual Bond Girl. I don't see why we're supposed to care. It's like the only kind of Bond film that many people will accept are the ridiculously pun-filled, innuendo-laden shagathons of the late Moore/Brosnan eras - which are such a minority in the whole Bond film canon. Crucially, it's like people don't want to see anything NEW. It's an 8/10 for me. Oh, and I never noticed the CGI. Really.

Anyone seen this?

My link

Looks like Mr White will be disappearing into the night after Tosca...

Here's a question - best final line for any character? Although I think Q will already have won...

Richard Paterson

...of Death!

With regards to that link, I know that Forster cut out Bond's confrontation with White and Haines, although I imagine there would be issues with adding that into Bond 23. If that's the case, then it sucks that there's no more Mr White, but given the nature of Quantum's relative invisibility, I don't think it matters too much if White disappears - he could either be pulling the strings off-screen or killed off by some higher figure within Quantum. I will say that Christensen turning around and calling arguably his biggest paydays and moments of exposure "shit" is ungrateful at best and douchey at worst.

As for last line, Q's is going to be hard to beat for sentimental reasons, I do like the final exchange between Bond and Trevelyan as a neat & tidy call-back to finally wrap up their association with each other.

That reminds me that it's someone's birthday! Happy 25th, my friend! (He typed, seconds before picking up his phone)

What a jackass. He throws the films under the bus for being predictable?? Even if we entertain the idea that he felt that way, you figure he had more class than that.

Concerning final lines, I agree with the Q nomination. I'd also throw in Elektra King as her's sums up the character perfectly for me.

"You wouldn't kill me. You'd miss me."