Doc Savage on the way

D-Man

An article in Variety magazine here: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118015613.html?categoryid=1237&cs=1 has offically announced a new Doc Savage picture in our viewing future. Now, I don't know how others will feel about this news but I loves me some pulpy Doc Savage goodness. He’s a difficult character to portray, though, because he’s basically the perfect human. He’s a walking, talking deus ex machina. I think if they focus primarily on his five companions with Doc as a mysterious, almost mythic figure pulling the strings from the shadows they may have more success than previous efforts. Also, I want zeppelins and lost cities and infernal devices and cliffhangers and Doc riding on the running boards and super fast elevators to secret warehouses and hardened criminals with electric rifles that fire whistling bullets that decompose flesh etc. etc. etc.

Also, I wonder who will play Doc. Arnold Schwarzennegger was going to play Doc years ago but now it's Dwayne Johnson's name being thrown out there. As good a choice as any I suppose. Any other candidates? Who should play his five crime fighting companions? Any thoughts?

I think that would work. Surround him with some great character actors and you've got a great film.

Monk: ?

Ham: I'm seeing Jude Law (especially after the Repo Men trailer) but he should probably be older huh?

Renny: Needs to be a big dude right? I have no idea. Michael Clarke Duncan? He needs to be bigger than Doc though so that really limits choices.

Long Tom: Tim Roth? Steve Buscemi?

Jude Law would be great for Ham. He's just the right age. The thing is, Ham and Monk have to be perfect foils for one another because they are constantly bickering and competing and playing practical jokes. Therefore, both actors have to have great chemistry together. Monk is a world class chemist who just happens to built like an ape-man. He's jolly and affable and loves a good scrap. He considers himself a real ladies man but is constantly frustrated by Ham's smarmy charm and good looks. How about Andy Serkis? Consider his work in Peter Jackson's KING KONG as both Kong himself and as the ship's cook. He was the best part of that awful movie. His natural physicality and liveliness would be perfect for Monk and he'd be a great counter to Jude Law's Ham.

The Man of Bronze is headed to the big screen! It was discovered late last year that Shane Black, writer of great 80s films like The Monster Squad, Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, and director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as well, would be writing the script for a Doc Savage movie in the works at Columbia Pictures (aka Sony). Variety is now reporting that Black will also be directing the movie (only his second time) from a script he's writing with newcomers Anthony Bagarozzi and Chuck Mondry. Neal Moritz and Ori Marmur, of Green Hornet and Battle: L.A., will be producing through Mortitz' Original Film production company.

Doc Savage was created by Henry W. Ralston in 1933 and became a popular character in the pulp mags of the 1930s and 40s. He is a physician, surgeon, scientist, adventurer, inventor, explorer, and researcher. A team of scientists deliberately trained his mind and body to near-superhuman abilities almost from birth, giving him great strength and endurance, a photographic memory, a mastery of the martial arts, and vast knowledge of the sciences. Doc is also a master of disguise and an excellent imitator of voices. He uses his skills to fight evil all over the world. "Doc Savage is an icon, a character with limitless possibilities."

"We have had a great experience working with Neal to bring another classic character of the era, the Green Hornet, to a new generation of fans, and we think he and Shane make the ideal team to bring Doc Savage back to the bigscreen," Columbia co-president Matt Tolmach said. Apparently Shane Black is a big collector of antique detective books and pulp fiction, or so Variety says. I was surprised by this, but I still think they made the perfect choice hiring Black to direct. We learned last time that he will be keeping the setting in the 30s and that "Doc needs to have his Fabulous Five. It will be an original Doc Savage story that attempts to encapsulate the feeling of the whole collection of Lester Dent's work." Definitely looking forward to this!

Read more: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/02/22/shane-black-directing-sonys-pulp-comics-doc-savage-movie/#ixzz0gO9BSoYs

Source

Shane Black, writer of great 80s films like The Monster Squad, Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, and director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as well, would be writing the script for a Doc Savage movie in the works at Columbia Pictures (aka Sony). Variety is now reporting that Black will also be directing the movie (only his second time) from a script he's writing with newcomers Anthony Bagarozzi and Chuck Mondry. Neal Moritz and Ori Marmur, of Green Hornet and Battle: L.A., will be producing through Mortitz' Original Film production company.

:w00t: