Spectacular Spiderman

AnimeToonFan

Technically it isn't canceled yet but it's looking unlikely. The rights to the show have reverted back to Marvel from Sony and the production of more episodes is contegent on the DVD sales. It's been out of production for nearly a year so it looks bleak. Than again, if Family Guy can get revived, then who knows?

I haven't seen the second season yet, but I thought the first season was good, but not amazing. The first third was pretty good, the middle third with the Green Goblin was great, but the last third with the Black Costume was mostly terrible. I thought the cast was great for the most part with a few exceptions. I still don't know why Deborah Whitman was called Gwen Stacy and the J. Jonah Jameson was trying way too hard to be the J.K. Simmons version from the movies. Battery powered Doc Ock was easily the worst though. On the other hand, one big positive I'll give the show is Norman Osborn/Green Goblin. Without a doubt, the best portrayl of both in animation to date. Norman especially was the best part of every episode he was in.

I'll admit, I thought that Harry was the Green Goblin because a. Norman and Green Goblin were in the same place at one point and b. I didn't think the cartoon would be mature enough to imply that Norman broke his son's leg. Upon reading spoilers for season 2, I gladly ate crow at the explanations for both of those points that Norman was the Green Goblin.

The animation was good too, though the character designs were a bit wonky with the fish eyes and action figure bodies. In the end, I would rank it second, and despite its poor animation and occasional over-acting, I still rank the 90s series as the best.

The second season was a lot better. And I kinda have no idea what you're talking about as far as the last third of Season 1 being terrible; I thought it was pretty effing amazing. The way they had the black suit evolve from the Spider-Man 3 design into the comics design was great, and the story was very compelling without getting into the frustrating soap operatic style of the 90s series.

The animation in SSM was by far the best out of any Spider-Man series to date. It's the only one that's ever captured the kinetic fluidity of Spider-Man's style, and it did so brilliantly. The fight with the Sinister Six was jaw-dropping.

And I kinda have no idea what you're talking about as far as the last third of Season 1 being terrible; I thought it was pretty effing amazing. The way they had the black suit evolve from the Spider-Man 3 design into the comics design was great, and the story was very compelling without getting into the frustrating soap operatic style of the 90s series.

You're right, last third was a bit of an exaggeration. I really meant the last two episodes of the season. I thought the second to last episode was the worst of the season due to its copying the origin from the movie almost verbatim, which struck me as incredibly lazy. Not to mention Peter's way to defeat the symbiote in both episodes was, as I call it, "sunshine, rainbows, and puppies." Very disappointing end to the season, especially after the way they had built up Eddie Brock throughout the season. I still side with the 90s version of the "Alien Costume Saga" as the best interpretation.

You're right, last third was a bit of an exaggeration. I really meant the last two episodes of the season. I thought the second to last episode of the season was the worst due to its copying the origin from the movie almost verbatim. Not to mention Peter's way to defeat the symbiote in both cases was, as I call it, "sunshine, rainbows, and puppies." Very disappointing end to the season, especially after the way they had built up Eddie Brock throughout the season. I still side with the 90s version of the "Alien Costume Saga" as the best interpretation.

See, I really loved the origin flashback, as it merged the comics origin with the movie one. To quote IGN.com's review of that episode,

"The origin itself was an interesting mixture of material and sequences taken from the comics and from the film. There were direct visual references to both Spidey's first appearance in Amazing Fantasy #15 and to the first Spider-Man film, sometimes very intertwined – one example was when Peter instinctively leaps out of the way of a car and onto the side of a building (Amazing Fantasy), then looks at the small little hooks protruding out of his fingers (the film) and climbs to the top of the building, where he crushes a pipe (Amazing Fantasy)."

I like Spectacular's version of the Black Suit, but you're right, Venom was definitely done best in the 90s series.

The only thing I didn't like was the way Eddie Brock went from likable in the first part of the show, to just a villian, with no real reasoning behind it. Peter was a bastard to me! Arrggghhhh! I'll take it out on everyone.

Season 2 was awesome, and the explanation/fight with the Green Goblin in the final episode was awesome.

Has this been released on DVD, cause I've heard nothing about it.

The only thing I didn't like was the way Eddie Brock went from likable in the first part of the show, to just a villian, with no real reasoning behind it. Peter was a bastard to me! Arrggghhhh! I'll take it out on everyone.

Season 2 was awesome, and the explanation/fight with the Green Goblin in the final episode was awesome.

Has this been released on DVD, cause I've heard nothing about it.

In the states, it's been released as just volume sets. Haven't seen a season set.