Episode 143

RSS

In this huge episode of Dread Media, Desmond interviews Vincenzo Natali about his upcoming film Splice, and his classic dark sci-fi work, Cube. Then DW is back, and he and Desmond talk about Stargate: Atlantis, their in-development werewolf / vampire buddy cop show, and, oh yeah, the Cube series. Hint: the first film's really good, one of the films is really bad, and it wouldn't be a DW / Desmond discussion if they didn't disagree about something. Then the show is rounded out with an off-the-cuff What Music They Make, paying tribute to the metal legend Ronnie James Dio. Tunes include: "Hybrid Moments" by The Misfits, "Man in the Box" by Alice in Chains, "CUBErt" by System of a Down, and "Holy Diver" and "Scream" by DIO. RIP Ronnie James Dio. [ 2:16:08 || 62.5 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_143.mp3

Though I didn't realize it until yesterday, I've seen all of the Cube films.

Thanks to the Sci-Fi Channel constantly showing the movie, I saw the original in pieces over the years. It never much impressed me, however. But I watched it from start to finish last night, and now my opinion of it has grown. Some of the acting is over-the-top, the heel turn is lame, and the ending I don't like at all, but it's still a movie I wouldn't mind watching again.

I have no idea what was going on in Cube 2: Hypercube. And, yeah, the digital effects look awful!

And Cube Zero, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've seen all of it. I know for a fact I've seen the first 15-ish minutes, but I don't remember much more than that.

Good show, guys. More DW on DM, please!

• 9 years later...

Mega bump. Just listened to this today after an exchange in the “every film” thread with @Dread. Great episode.

I liked the point @D.W. made that if this was made today we would have an explanation of what exactly the Cube is and who made it and why. I admit that the first time I saw this I didn’t like that it was never explained, probably because I am so used to having things explained.

But not having it explained draws you into the movie more because you know exactly what the characters know and you are figuring this out with them.

The ending twist...

Spoiler

That the characters could have just stayed put and would have gotten out easily

Was an awesome twist.