Superman / Batman: Apocalypse DVD commentary

Stavros

Figured I'd give some feedback to this. Good stuff as usual Mike, I largely agreed with a lot of what you said. Good idea to make these available to donaters-only, its a nice little extra incentive. I'd like to see more, just put one up whenever you put out a call for donations. Couple of thoughts-

The "horny planet" as you called it in the opening is meant to be Doomsday.

She’s denser than a standard Krytonian because all Argonians are, I think it’s something to do with Argo having a higher gravity so they develop denser muscles.

She was fully of age when she left, unlike Clark her rocket froze her. She remembers Clarke as her little baby cousin who she used to babysit.

Hippolyta was dead at this point in the comics, that’s why she isn’t there.

Harbinger played a big part in the Crisis on Infinite Earths, but personally I don’t know much beyond that. You were right about it being a Perez costume though.

Don’t blame you for making any of the points I just commented on though, this stuff isn’t explained in the film. As for the rest, the constant shopping deal, the WW attack, the Loebist Doomsday attack, I couldn’t agree more. This is a very flawed film in terms of its overall plot. It's best redeeming features are the fights.

She’s denser than a standard Krytonian because all Argonians are, I think it’s something to do with Argo having a higher gravity so they develop denser muscles.

Um... in the comics, Argo is a city, not a moon.

Kara's body is a little denser either because her genetics are a tad different than Kal's or because she had a type of non-lethal kryptonite poisoning, which was doing all sorts of craziness to her mind and body.

And yeah, Harbinger basically just went to Themyscira after the Crisis. I don't think there's any more significant information there.

Aside from the completely stupid WW attack in the park, I don't really have a problem with the rest of the plot.

She was fully of age when she left, unlike Clark her rocket froze her. She remembers Clarke as her little baby cousin who she used to babysit.

That's what I thought, but then why is she nude in the ship? We see Zor-El place her in the rocket. Are we to assume she was in the buff when he did that? If so... weird!

Um... in the comics, Argo is a city, not a moon.

Kara's body is a little denser either because her genetics are a tad different than Kal's or because she had a type of non-lethal kryptonite poisoning, which was doing all sorts of craziness to her mind and body.

Ah yes, you're right. I got a little confused because Argo survived the destruction of Krypton and went floating through space, so somewhere along the line I got thinking it was a separate colony.

The "horny planet" as you called it in the opening is meant to be Doomsday.

I can't be the only person wanting to donate and get a copy of the film, just to hear that in context.

Honestly, as much as I would like the extra $10 donation, I don't want you to donate under false pretenses. The "horny planet" line wasn't one of my famous "Did I just say that?" moments. In the opening credits there are various bits of iconography pointing towards certain characters, and one of those is a spiked ball which I referred to as a "horny planet" as I wondered who it was meant to represent.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic commentary

I agree with your gripe about Batman's no-killing policy only applying to Homo sapiens but don't really mind it when he tries to kill the Doomsdays. I figure his rationale would be that they're monsters that aren't sentient like aliens or humans. That's also the reason why you see him get so rough with Man-Bat in "On Leather Wings" and the cat-human hybrid in "Tyger, Tyger" in Batman: The Animated Series. I do have a gripe with his fight with the Doomsdays, though, in that it's another case of the writer putting Batman over too much to compensate for his lack of superpowers. I doubt he could even get far on his own with one Doomsday, let alone a bunch of them.

Also, the Creeper-looking Fury is Mad Harriet, the one in black with the spiky whip is Lasheena, and the big one Barda killed is Stompa.

You should definitely do more of these. I also look forward to you and James covering this movie, along with the other DC Universe Animated films.

I agree with your gripe about Batman's no-killing policy only applying to Homo sapiens but don't really mind it when he tries to kill the Doomsdays. I figure his rationale would be that they're monsters that aren't sentient like aliens or humans.

That's about right. I mean, if he had anything against killing non-sentient beings, he'd be a vegetarian. Doomsday is only very rarely shown to be anything more than a mindless creature with less intelligence than a goldfish.

I do have a gripe with his fight with the Doomsdays, though, in that it's another case of the writer putting Batman over too much to compensate for his lack of superpowers. I doubt he could even get far on his own with one Doomsday, let alone a bunch of them.

He was wielding an Amazonian axe that may have been magic-powered, and the doomsdays weren't nearly as invulnerable as the original creature was.

• 3 weeks later...