Halo 2 outsells Halo!

Missy

In the two months since its release, Halo 2 has sold 6.4 million units. The significance of this? That's more copies than the original, which, of course, has been out for over three years. Additionally, this makes Halo 2 the best selling Xbox title, and, combined, the two Halo games have sold 12.8 million copies.

Additionally, thanks to Halo 2, Xbox Live now boasts 1.4 million users.

The Sims sold a lot more than that. The third expansion pack broke the 13 million point, but I don't think thats the right way of doing things, buying an expansion pack is not buying the game. I'd estimate that the original Sims probably sold about 8 million units itself (a fantastic number on the PC and certainly the best selling game on that platform, ironically the gaming platform with the largest market saturation).

SMB3 sold 17.28 million units worldwide and appears to be the best-selling game of all time not bundled with the release of a console (a.e. SMB, SML and SMW).

If you count games that were bundled with consoles, the original SMB sold over 40 million units. But its not fair to say that since most NES' sold came with one.

Are sure about the SMB3 numbers, because I've heard that the Sims was the best selling game of all time (PC or console). And you're right, it's not fair to count the numbers that way, but it really is one game -- not eight. It's the same as downloading new content, but at a price. Same game, more sales.

Are sure about the SMB3 numbers, because I've heard that the Sims was the best selling game of all time (PC or console). And you're right, it's not fair to count the numbers that way, but it really is one game -- not eight. It's the same as downloading new content, but at a price. Same game, more sales.

Well, not 100%. But here's where I got the Mario numbers from.

Yeah, I realize that expansion packs are merely new content. However, a person buying the expansion pack has already bought the game, and therefore the purchase of an expansion pack does not really indicate a new customer, merely a loyal one. The sale of expansion pack doesn't represent more market saturation or bring new players into the community. What bothers me even more about counting the expansion packs is that the expansion packs sold more copies than the original game did.