Episode 181

RSS

Joining Desmond this week is Black Death director Christopher Smith to talk about his influences and the joys of filmmaking. Then there is nothing joyful when Desmond and Darryll take on Hatchet II. And a huge celebrity returns to Dread Media for the inaugural edition of his new segment! You'll have to listen to find out! Songs included: "Black Death" by Zombeast, "Empty Ships" by Creeper Lagoon, "Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy Osbourne, and "Bury the Hatchet" by Ghoultown. [ 1:11:57 || 33.1 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_181.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

I largely agree with Darryl when it comes to slasher movies. I think the subgenre has spawned some great films, such as Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street, but most just blur together due to the repetitive formula. Like Des, I do have a soft spot for the Friday The 13th franchise, as it was my introduction to R-rated horror. Even then, I don't think the series has an actual great film, though The Final Chapter and Jason X are entertaining gems. I think the better films released in recent years have been the meta ones, such as Wes Craven's New Nightmare and Behind The Mask. Having seen Frozen, I agree that I would rather see Adam Green make more films in that vein than another slasher entry.