Episode 184

RSS

In a decidedly non-horror episode of Dread Media, Desmond and Darryll discuss two diverse features. First up is the harrowing and hilarious documentary The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Then, they try not to talk too much about the comic book that they adapted to make All-Star Superman. Songs to make you wanna dance in yer daddy's shoes: "Satan is Real / Straight to Hell" and "D. Ray White" by Hank Williams III, "Superman" by Duff McKagan, and "If You're Gonna be Dumb, You Gotta be Tough" by Roger Alan Wade. [ 1:15:43 || 34.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_184.mp3

Des, I'm going to call you out on your assessment of Lois' VA. I agree that Supes' VA sucked ass, thought that Lex was middling at best, and while Hendricks wasn't pitch perfect, she still did a damn sight better than they did. (And I agree with your wish to see her in a live-action Supes. :P)

I think that they had to balance making this appeal to non-Morrison fans/not making it too ridiculously Silver Agey and still trying to be true to the original material, in terms of what did and didn't get cut.

For me, this was my first run with the All-Star Supes mythos, and it's got me interested in the actual comics, so it did a pretty good job in my opinion.

PS: Thanks again for running the promo. :)

I'll stick to my point. She was flat and, at best, nothing special.

suave.png

I actually agree with Hannah, I quite liked Hendricks as Lois Lane. We'll see what I think when I re-watch it soon. However, I wasn't big on James Denton as Superman and thought Anthony LaPaglia perfectly captured the mad scientist Lex Luthor of All Star Superman. I also thought Matthew Gray Gubler made the few moments with Jimmy Olsen stand out.

I'm in the same boat as you guys on the movie as a whole. I think the comic is one of the greatest comic book stories of the last decade and the movie, while serviceable, failed to capture what made it special. My biggest complaint was that most of issue 10 was left out, especially the crucial Regan sequence.

I too have a lot of time for Johnny Knoxville - if you're a 15 year old male when Jackass begins to air, you're going to be hooked! Also playing on his southern roots is that he starred in an indie film called Grand Theft Parsons, based upon on the death of a country star called Gram Parsons. Can't say I've watched it, but I've heard a few good things about it.

And I'd offer to buy All Star Superman off you, Des, but I don't want to exhaust the Vancouver Island postman again! He must still be recovering from his last Odyssey!! :D