Episode 07

RSS

It's lucky episode seven, and the Heroes hit the part where things get, in their words, "pretty fucking awesome." With episodes like "Surprise," "Innocence," "Phases," and "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered," it is suggested that the ratings be cranked to 11 for the awesomeness that happens within. Why isn't Buffy's PMS-evil-dar working? Is Oz incredibly high, or just superchill from living on the Hellmouth? Join Hannah and Preston this week to find out! [ 1:37:24 || 44.5 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/bigdamnheroes/episodes/bigdamnheroes_007.mp3

The banter between me and Preston aside, I have a bit of a complaint. Nothing major, and it may just be this episode as opposed to the podcast as a whole, but it seemed that most of the episode coverage was a synopsis then maybe 4 minutes of discussion before moving on to the next episode. I'm not suggesting you blather on as long as I do in my podcasts, but I felt like some insight into these episodes was being missed. I'm fine with Preston's reasoning for "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" not being too expanded upon, but it felt like the same was true for the previous episodes, despite them being well-received to awesome.

On a lighter note, I have a pop at Channel Awesome too in my next Comic Reel-lief segment, which is currently in post-production. I also find Linkara's storylines to be tedious, but at least he isn't.....HIM....the one we don't speak of...

Generally, I think we attempt to have our discourse during the synopsis, that said that approach does often lead to some lackluster final thoughts. We're still finding our legs a bit, which is taking longer than I'd hoped, but rest assured that I've been having the same concern and I have a few ideas with which to address it.

Thanks, Ian.

The PR stuff is very good, but he's intentionally going againist his AT4W style. That style is where my issues arise, I think he's a strong reviewer, but his choices really piss me off sometimes.

I'm with ya on that one.

Right, because the bloody Power Rangers deserve mature & insightful discussions.

Hey now. No reason to be douchebaggy about it. It's kids entertainment, but it has its place.

Right, because the bloody Power Rangers deserve mature & insightful discussions.

Hey now. No reason to be douchebaggy about it. It's kids entertainment, but it has its place.

Nothing "douchebaggy" about it. You have mature & insightful discussions about literature or performance art, not an incomprehensible Japanese show that was reshot for American audiences and given a wholly different plot contrivance. It does have its place, and that place is 20 years ago.

Hoo boy.

The fact that Power Rangers is reliant upon year-old footage from Super Sentai (which is NOT incomprehensible) doesn't mean that it's not "art." Every TV series on the air has budgetary limitations that restrict what can or cannot be done on the show. More to the point of BDH, the Buffy Season 8 comics are a good example of Whedon's vision when not restricted by budget. It's vastly different from the TV series, but it's not any more or less "art." Hell, on average, most people consider it to be a worse story overall.

Power Rangers isn't any less worthy of discussion than any other childrens' TV series. Look at the original G.I. Joe and Transformers, which were essentially animated American equivalents to Super Sentai. They were basically just commercials for their respective toylines, but were given a certain level of depth at the time (more on the Transformers side), and have since expanded to encompass much larger and deeper fictional universes. Furthermore, there's a ton of great discussion to be had on those original 80s cartoons themselves. The fact that G.I. Joe couldn't show characters getting shot in a war story isn't proof that it's not "art;" it was an obstacle for the creative people behind the show to work around. That story in itself is worthy of analysis and discussion.

Don't play the elitist game and try to say what does and does not qualify as worthy of discussion. The very fact that we're having this debate now is proof enough that there's plenty of facets of Power Rangers to critically explore.

Hoo boy.

Well quite, you're asking for a schooling....

The fact that Power Rangers is reliant upon year-old footage from Super Sentai (which is NOT incomprehensible) doesn't mean that it's not "art." Every TV series on the air has budgetary limitations that restrict what can or cannot be done on the show. More to the point of BDH, the Buffy Season 8 comics are a good example of Whedon's vision when not restricted by budget. It's vastly different from the TV series, but it's not any more or less "art." Hell, on average, most people consider it to be a worse story overall.

It *IS* incomprehensible in that the original story is in Japanese and the Saban company chose to use the original footage to tell almost entirely different stories. Case in point, the Japanese Green Ranger was written out because he only had a limited lifespan due to crazy back history with him being the Red Ranger's brother et al. Either way, I don't regard either the Japanese or US versions to be anything other than mindless entertainment - not "art". Your Buffy example is somewhat moot - Buffy Season 8 is merely fan fiction from the series creator.

Power Rangers isn't any less worthy of discussion than any other childrens' TV series. Look at the original G.I. Joe and Transformers, which were essentially animated American equivalents to Super Sentai. They were basically just commercials for their respective toylines, but were given a certain level of depth at the time (more on the Transformers side), and have since expanded to encompass much larger and deeper fictional universes. Furthermore, there's a ton of great discussion to be had on those original 80s cartoons themselves. The fact that G.I. Joe couldn't show characters getting shot in a war story isn't proof that it's not "art;" it was an obstacle for the creative people behind the show to work around. That story in itself is worthy of analysis and discussion.

The thrust of my argument is that very few cartoons/children's shows are worthy of analysis and discussion. Only a handful are created with an intelligence in mind that makes it worthy of intellectual discussion. That's not elitist either - there's so much more to talk about when looking at Animaniacs as opposed to Biker Mice From Mars. In my opinion, there's nothing so special about the Power Rangers franchise that deserves intellectual discussion.

Don't play the elitist game and try to say what does and does not qualify as worthy of discussion. The very fact that we're having this debate now is proof enough that there's plenty of facets of Power Rangers to critically explore.

No it isn't. If someone wants to argue the point enough, they could argue that there are plenty of facets of cheese to critically explore. That doesn't make them right. Yes, I'm dismissive about Power Rangers, but that's only because I fully believe it to be utter bollocks. That doesn't make me elitist, just opinionated.

ON TOPIC: I need to see footage of this whorish Willow...........

It *IS* incomprehensible in that the original story is in Japanese and the Saban company chose to use the original footage to tell almost entirely different stories. Case in point, the Japanese Green Ranger was written out because he only had a limited lifespan due to crazy back history with him being the Red Ranger's brother et al. Either way, I don't regard either the Japanese or US versions to be anything other than mindless entertainment - not "art".

The fact that a lot of footage is reused doesn't mean that the final product can't still be a good story.

Art is—legally and academically—not defined by a subjective personal opinion of quality, but rather the fact that human minds created something which is designed to elicit an intellectual or emotional response from an audience—which Power Rangers certainly did and does with children. Childrens' entertainment is, in many ways, central to art itself, as it shapes the development of youth in many ways. How many of us here have been greatly influenced by the various television series that we watched as children, good or bad? Furthermore, the immense popularity of Power Rangers ensured that it had a highly powerful imprint upon an entire generation of kids. The fact that it was so influential to culture is extremely integral to the concept of art itself: that give-and-take between the observer and the creator, and the creative loop that often happens when the observers take what they've learned and—consciously or unconsciously—reapply it to the entire world, thus influencing the future of art and starting the cycle anew.

I'm not entirely sure how it's handled internationally, but here in America it's a hard rule with the legal system that creative works are considered art regardless of their quality, simply because the opinion of any judge should never be allowed to strike down something based on personal bias. If it were the other way around, comic books would have been made illegal in the 1950s and 60s, Rock & Roll would have been eliminated by those who believed it was a blight upon society, and the entire video game industry would be a shadow of its current self.

Your Buffy example is somewhat moot - Buffy Season 8 is merely fan fiction from the series creator.

kpTtT.gif

Yes, I'm dismissive about Power Rangers, but that's only because I fully believe it to be utter bollocks. That doesn't make me elitist, just opinionated.

The two are not mutually-exclusive. Look, if you dislike Power Rangers, that's fine. I've got no beef with that. I'd never try to convince you that you need to enjoy it. But please don't be so arrogant as to simply declare that it's "unworthy" or "not art" simply because you don't like it.

Art - the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography, sculpture, and paintings. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics, and even disciplines such as history and psychology analyze its relationship with humans and generations. Generally, art is made with the intention of stimulating thoughts and emotions.

The term "art" has shit all to do with the quality of something. Quite literally everything created by humans is art on some level.

I don't really care to clutter Preston and Hannah's thread by encouraging more fierce off-topic quote battling, but that's a huge pet peeve of mine.

• 2 weeks later...