John Carter

JackFetch

Opening in 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on March 9, the adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' classic novel tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

johncarter2511111.th.jpg johncarter2511113.th.jpg

johncarter2511115.th.jpg johncarter2511116.th.jpg

johncarterew2.th.jpg

I've been following this a little, and from what I've heard the budget is so big that it would have to make an insane amount just to get a sequel.

The trailer looks awesome. But that immediately makes me suspicious and utterly convinced that the film either be (a) crap or (b) nowhere near as good as the trailer promises.

And before you take me to task about my pessimism about such things, the last trailer I thought that about was Sucker Punch.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just watched it. It was a perfectly fine movie that Disney had no idea how to promote. Today's audience will say it uses every sci fi gimmick because they don't understand most of them came from this book. The story with the Princess being forced to marry someone she doesn't love with a hero coming in to save her is a Disney story. Why was that not used in any of the marketing?

I've heard mainly good things. I'll definitely rent it.

By doing the focus group thing they completely screwed up their marketing for this. "John Carter" is not the name of an event movie. As it is people are thinking it's another Clash of the Titans or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The marketing was bad for this movie. When I was talking with friends about the previews everyone thought it was a Avatar knockoff. A couple of them were surprised to know that Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote it. It surprised me that they did not advertise a Tarzan connection. Especially since (unless I'm mistaken) Tarzan outsold Phantom Menace on the opening weekend.

I still would like to see Kitsch do something good so that he has something else on his resume besides, John Carter and the role of Gambit from X men Origins: Wolverine.